We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

Is there a buffet near the pool in Barcelo Maya Palace where you can have full lunch in the bathing suites with cover-ups? My impression is that Palace doesn't have this option and you have to dress-up when you having lunch or go to Tropical/Colonial lunch buffet. Is it correct?

Thank you for all your replies!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

In dry beach attire with cover-up and footwear, you can dine at the 'Coral Grill' buffet at the Palace, which features covered open-air seating and a seperate, enclosed & air conditioned food service area. They will not let you take food from there back to your lounge chair.

There is also a food cart by the pool/beach deck where you can purchase snacks. It is NOT part of your all-inclusive plan, but you can bring your purchases back to your lounge chair.

Palace guests in bathing attire are also free to use the pool area buffets & snack bars at the Colonial/Tropical or Beach/Caribe as well.

In beach attire, also with cover-ups & footwear, if you are completely dry & free from sand, lotion, etc., you can also dine at the main buffets.

Edited: 12:26 pm, January 18, 2013
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

We usually went to the buffet at the Colonial next door, just north down the path from the Palace pool bar. But the service and food quality and selection was better at the Coral Grill and Palace main buffet.

And yes, as long as you were dry and sand free, it's fine. Cover-ups should not too be skimpy. Flip flops were fine.

We did find it a bit of a disappointment that there was not a beach bar/grill where you could get burgers or pizza and the like and eat at your loungers. Beach service would have been nice too. But it was sure no hardship to make the effort to go to the sit-down restaurants.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

This was an irritation for us, but nothing you can't get around. I think an informal snack bar located in at least one of the sections should be available for those who just want a quick snack - and it should be 24 hours! Not having food after 10pm was more than an irritation.

And having food for sale in an all inclusive resort that isn't in a lobby store is ridiculous. I loved the Palace, but these are the reasons we won't be back.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

This is one of my concerns as we have 3 children ages 9, 12 and 15. We are booked for July. I know they will want ice cream and snacks (that is part of vacation). What are the "snack bars" at the Colonial/Tropical like? Are there any pizza, hamburger options at the colonial area? What do other parents do? I so wish they had a little hut with nachos, hamburgers, hotdogs and ice cream etc. This makes me worry a bit.

Michigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

momof3, worry not. From the Palace pool or beach front area you will have a 5 minute walk over to the Palmeras Grill on the North end of the Tropical section (not Colonial section). The Palmeras Grill grill will offer you and your kids burgers, hotdogs, nachos, ice cream and a whole lot more. As stated above, dress is very casual. We've stayed at the Palace the past three years and actually go there for lunch and/or snack throughout the day more often than the Coral Grill at the Palace. The Palmeras Grill is not a "little hut", but a rather "big hut" ;).

See number 25 on the link to the resort below.

unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/userfiles/file/m…

halifax
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

We have 2 small kids and were there 4 weeks ago....we actually went to the Palace buffet for lunch and sat outside for lunch....huge choices...including pasta bar, pizza, burgers....

Never a problem....just dry yourself off and go

More food and choices .....it was great

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

SKL and Joe - A big thanks to you. I just didn't see my kids wanting to run inside the buffet every time they wanted some ice cream. Good information..I appreciate this!

I do wish there were some grills on the beach with a bar and some swings. Just can't have EVERYTHING in one place after all!

Edited: 7:11 pm, April 08, 2013
Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

The snack bar/grill at the Colonial/Tropical is good for kid's palates but honestly for adults, the hot dogs, icky pizza and entrees were not good at all. There is soft serve ice cream and some cookies. But it is not the type of place where kids are running in and out to get what they want as they want it. It is more of a place to sit down and eat.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

I have to say I thought the pool/lunch snack huts (big snack huts as stated above) were the best of almost any resort I've been to. I have kids (8 & 6) at the time and there was no issue as you can go in wet with a wrap and flip flops. We loved the food in these snack places and they were great. Not good pizza, but great burgers and we thought the entrees were great. They had 3 kinds of ice cream and I don't think you or your kids will go without:)

PS: They also had grilled meats and build your pasta for the adults and deli meats for simple sandwiches and a salad bar.

Edited: 8:34 pm, April 08, 2013
10. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace - lunch buffet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 10, 2014