We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

My boyfriend and I are interested in going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya and I just had a couple questions. I noticed it said online that you get 2 food coupons for the dinner restaurants per 5 nights. Can you really only eat at the a la carte restaurants twice or can you go every night? How is the food there?

Was also wondering how the beach was?

These are the two main things we like in a vacation!

Right now we're stuck between the Catalonia Riviera Maya, Ocean Maya Royale and Occidental Grand Xcaret.

Thanks!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,817 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

The beach at the CAT RM is really just a small cove shared with another resort. Some snorkel opportunities, but not your typical Riveria Maya stretch of beachfront what-so-ever! And depending upon your package purchased, a la carte vouchers indeed are numbered.

If you & your boyfriend are both over age 18, considering your two main things you like in a vacation are the beach and food, definately check-out the fully-inclusive, adult-only Catalonia Royal Tulum resort, just a few miles south of the CAT RM and on one of the most-beautiful stretches of beachfront in the entire region!

South Carolina
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Two a la carte tickets is probably correct for a 5 night stay as you get 3 for a 7 night visit. If you book a privilege room you'll get an extra ticket for the Tappas restaurant.

I did not like the beach at the Cat Riviera Maya at all. If a good beach is near the top of your list try the Catalonia Maroma or Catalonia Royal Tulum.

Edited: 2:55 pm, January 02, 2013
Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

I agree with the above posts. Cat RM is our favorite but not for the beach. The beach is acceptable to us but the one at Cat Royal Tulum is extremely gorgeous. We love everything else at the Cat RM though. Going back for our 7th time next month. Good luck and have fun

BigDave

Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Thank you for the suggestions! I looked up the Cat Royal Tulum and unfortunately it's out of our price range. :(

Is the beach at the RM still nice but just small?

BigDave when you go is there a limit on how many times you can eat at the a la carte restaurants or is there a way around it? (I stayed at Cat La Romana and though they only give you 3 coupons you can ask them for more and they'll give them to you.)

South Carolina
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

The beach is small and very rocky. You can certainly ask for more dinner tickets but availablity may depend on how full the resort is when you're there. Also check out Catalonia Playa Maroma/Privilege Beach. It's priced less than Royal Tulum and also on a spectacular beach.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Here's a slideshow of pictures of all the Catalonia resorts. The Catalonia Riviera Maya beach is pictured in photos 3,4 and 5 among others.

http://catalonia-resorts.com/photos.html

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

These three resorts often price close to each other, so I'm guessing you have a moderate budget. I'd say go for The CAT and upgrade at least to a Privilege category room for the best stay.

Ocean Maya Royale is NOT ON THE BEACH and it's north of Playa del Carmen. Beach they shuttle you to has lots of seaweed & not blue water...read their trip reports to see others' first hand experiences.

Same with Occidental Grand Xcaret. It's adjacent to Xcaret ("amusement" park) and has a manmade swimming cove along the ironshore rocky coast.

The CAT does have a nice stretch of sand, but rocky ironshore for the first five steps entering the water. So look for the sandy chutes to enter the water easily. Then there is sandy bottom underwater to enjoy plus easy close in snorkeling.

Of the three you mention, CAT has the best beach. But if it's beach you're after, check out Playacar resorts for a long stretch with nice water & small waves. Cat Maroma & Royal Tulum can get expensive since they're on possibly the best two beaches in Mexico.

Ask the concierge for additional dinner coupons if needed.

Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

How is the Occidental Grand Xcaret swimming cove?

Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Sorry another question, the Cat Maroma is just slightly out of our price range, but if the difference in quality is that big we could swing it. Would you say it is?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,817 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: Question about food and beach at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Please remember that with all-inclusive vacations you definately get what you pay for so choose wisely!

Have you considered Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic? It typically prices-out very well and offers many good resorts on spectacular beaches!