We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Departure Tax

Hi all, we travel 6 weeks tomorrow and i'm trying to get everything sorted. Can someone tell me exactly how much the departure tax is for two people? Would you recommend taking it in Mexican Pesos with us and storing it or getting it in resort while we are there? Thank you

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax

None for us in the States...................not sure about the UK.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,694 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax

It is my understanding that all airlines now include the departure tax in their ticket prices/taxes collected. The only exception is charter flights - Thompson and the like. BA, Virgin, etc all include it in the price. You would need to check with your travel agent or airline to be sure.

That said - it can be paid in pesos, US dollars or pounds.

Good luck!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax

Yes agree with above, who are you travelling with?? thomson, Thomas cook first choice do not include it in the price and you will have to budget for that. I do not know exactly how much it is but I think it's approx £40 poss £45 per person regardless of age.

BA and virgin both DO include it in the ticket price.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax

That said - it can be paid in pesos, US dollars or pounds.

Not really - recent posts say no US$

Amount is about just under 800 pesos each for UK charter passengers

Cheaper if you pay in pesos

Either way, best to bring the amount with you and store with your passport

romford
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax

We returned on 10th Sept and paid 800 Pesos (approx £45)

Although the exchange rate was slightly higher in Mexico than in the UK, I would recommend you do as Vancouver has stated above ... take it with you and store it in your passport until your return, as we did.

Regards,

Pat

UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax

Thanks all - was thinking of getting the amount in the UK before we leave and storing with passports so we know we have it. Will get just over the 800 pesos each and then we should be safe. Thank you for all your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax

Hi, we went and got our pesos yesterday at Thompson, 19.65, and was told we needed £45 each for departure tax and best paid in pesos, but to take a few dollars for tipping.

We have got 8 weeks to go so i hope that was a good rate, but you just dont know do you?

UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax

Hi Friend58 - on-line i've seen the rate as approx. 20 pesos to the £1.00 - so i think 19.65 is good. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks i think. 6 weeks today, right now - we will be on the plane! Can't wait!

9. Re: Departure Tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras