We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edss or EDR?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Edss or EDR?

Just in process of booking one of these which is the better one me 39 and my wife 31 reviews seem excellent for both.

Whats the pros and cons of both resorts please?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edss or EDR?

We have been to the EDSS 8 times and have spent a day at the EDR when it first opened and now love the EDM (we will be returning for our 7th visit in November). We thought the EDR was way too big, and it was about half the size that it is now. Some people love huge resorts, but not us. It all depends upon what you guys like. We also stopped visiting the EDSS when it got too big for us but out of the two, I would personally choose the EDSS.

You will still have quite a few dining options to choose from as well as drinking venues. The beach at the EDSS is much better than the EDR, you can snorkel right off the beach but if you are tender foot like me, you will likely need water shoes. If you walk about 10 minutes to the south (right as you are facing the ocean) you will have a beautiful soft sandy beach with excellent swimming. Since it has been about 5 years since we were last at the EDSS, I will certainly defer to others for more recent advice.

Edited: 2:12 pm, September 03, 2012
Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
324 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edss or EDR?

If you want a huge resort with livelier atmosphere EDR would be best. If you are looking for a smaller, quieter and romantic resort EDSS would be best. EDSS has the best beach, EDR has many more pools and more party people to go with them. Both have fantastic restaurants.

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edss or EDR?

My 200th post and just to say that we chose EDSS for our trip in Nov/Dec - ten years since we went to ASP... tripping around the Caribbean since then, always do AOAI, looking forward to this trip!!!

ATB,J.

Askern, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edss or EDR?

My main thing tbh is the food and drink is the food any better or a lot more choice at EDR with it being a bigger resort.?

Being smaller does the food over 14 days become boring at EDSS.??

Reading the reviews im more torn towards EDSS as EDR seems to have a few more bad reviews and more than a few comments about noisy groups of people.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edss or EDR?

My preference hands down is EDSS and I have stayed at both including 3 stays at Casitas.

We preferred the grounds, rooms. size, food and demographic at EDSS over EDR. It was quieter and more intimate, there are beach and bali beds everywhere, staff is wonderful.

For us EDR is too large, too impersonal, service too inconsistent and beach is lousy.

Our favorite is EDM but EDSS is a close second. We would not return to EDR.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edss or EDR?

Ian,

I would probably say (based on others reviews) that you will find better food at the EDSS over the EDR. The drinks will be standard across both resorts.

Have you had a chance to check out the menus on the Karisma website? If not, here is the link:

For EDSS: karismahotels.com/HotelsResorts/ForAdultsOnl…

For EDR: karismahotels.com/HotelsResorts/ForAdultsOnl…

One thing to remember is that if you want to try something not on a menu, just ask and if they can (if they have the ingredientsand staff availability) they will cook whatever you request. We have been to the EDSS 8 times (typically for 7 nights) and to the EDM 6 times (typically for 9 nights though going for 10 in November) and we certainly do not get tired of the food. We actually worry about trying to get all that we love into each visit!

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edss or EDR?

Akandal,

I have been on the Karisma Websites,,, I dont know how many times and I never noticed the download menu button.

Thank You for sharing the link.

Happy Travels

Can not wait for EDSS only 157 days to go.

Batesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edss or EDR?

Hi Ian, we are heading back to EDR in October. We love it there. We are staying in the casitas in a swim up room? The place is beautiful and the food is fabulous! It is a rather large place but we enjoy the walking. The beach is not the best but it is good for snorkeling.

romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edss or EDR?

We have just returned from the EDSS and they are in the process of extending. From what I've been told there are building another 100 rooms which will house swim ups, 2 additional bars and 1 restaurant.

Regards,

Pat

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edss or EDR?

Pat - Were they doing construction while you were there? Is it interfering with anything and/or noisy?