We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
380 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

We've booked the Catalonia through Funjet, which includes a transfer from the airport to the hotel. For an extra $80 they'll go directly to the hotel without stopping anywhere else. Is it worth paying the extra? If it only saves us 15 minutes or so, then I'd rather spend the money on something else.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

I think the best thing to do is speak with your travel agent. Have the TA find out from Funjet how many stops there normally are and the approximate time it will take over and above the normal. I think the normal travel time is about 1 hour. Going directly to/from hotel and airport is nice but a free ride might be worth taking. Look at it this way, you will be able to "check out" the other hotels. You spoke of the transfer to the hotel but is it another $80 to go back to the airport? Just food for thought. Good luck!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

Spend the money on something else.

Denver
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

I understand your thought on this, we have been there many times, sometime the bus ride can realy be fun! And you could be the first hotel stop! I would spend the money on something great (like the swim with the dolphins, an experiance of a life time!!!)

houston texasaspen
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

I just returned from Sunscape which is next door to the Catalonia.It took us two and a half hours to get from the airport to mthe hotel because we had to wait until the van was fully loaded and then you drive down this boring highway stopping to let people out at their hotel but you do not see anything but the parking lot. you waste the whole day. Take a cab .It saves hours and you get to enjoy your first day or night,whichever is the case.

Forest City, IA
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

We stayed at the Catalonia in late January and booked a private transfer through Cancunvalet.com for $125/RT. There was only 3 of us but I believe this price was good for up to 10 people. Once we exited the airport we were on the road and arrived at the Catalonia in an hour. We heard later that the bus we would have been on arrived 3 hours later than we did. It worked great for us, we're going back next year and we'll definitely book a private transfer again. Have fun! You'll love the Catalonia.

Chicago,Illinoiis
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

I used besttransfers.com to PA last week.

No wait at the airport, driver made a stop to pick up some cervezas for us and we were there in an hour.

145 round trip for 8 people. They were great. Clean van, prompt and friendly.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

Thanks FitzFamily - we're booked with Best Transfers for this Friday... and was wondering if they would stop to pick up Cervecas - good news!!!

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

socalgals3,

hey fellow san diegans!!! i've used cancun valet for years and will be using them again 4/8 !!

great company and the owners are either american or they just look & speak like americans!!

i highly recommend them. have fun...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

socalgals3:

Take the private transfer, all you need is one member of your bus to be caught up with the Timeshare people and your wait could be aweful, same as the way back, one couple late to check out and your wait again is aweful.

To Me, well worth the extra cash.

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a private airport transfer worth the extra cost?

another vote for private transfer...nothing like getting on your way asap after the fun at the airport...well worth it