We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Cat on Saturday for a week - last minute...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Cat on Saturday for a week - last minute...

My wife and I, first time to Riveria Maya - would we be better off to rent a car for a day or two or go on some tours? What are the MUST DO/SEE places/things?

Early 40's adventourous type so not there to just get drunk!

MARK

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Cat on Saturday for a week - last minute...

Was there with a group about 2 weeks ago. One couple really enjoyed the Zip-Line Tour (going from tree top to tree top). Another enjoyed renting scooters in Cozumel. Said the hurricane damage is still very apparent there but they had a fun time. Others took the Lobster Boat (can't remember the exact name for it). Said the lobster was great. There is so much to see and do - just visit the Conceirge at the hotel. Xcaret is an all day tour and probably best to book thru hotel - they will explain why. Most admittances to the parks etc... run from $50 to $90 pp. Renting a car is an option. Traffic between Cancun and PA can get a little upnerving at times. Maybe take the Collectivo. We never used the service but on this board they say you can go stand on the side of the main road. They pick you up and take you for $1. whereever you want to go. Cab fare is $14 (one way)from Playa Del Carmen to the Catalonia (for example). There is a Dive Shop at the Cat along with free snorkeling. The golf course is within walking distance. The guys said the course is in great shape. Don't forget a leisurely stroll to the Marina. Shopping - we found best in Playa del Carmen on a Sunday. Not near the large crowds. Just some ideas. You will never lack for things to do! The Funjet Rep. (just happened to visit with him) said the Catalonia is best for people who want to get out and do things. Have fun!

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Cat on Saturday for a week - last minute...

If you want to get away for some more adventurous stuff and have a car, try the drive inland to Coba, it's a fun drive (just drive carefully) and hiking around the ruins at Coba is cool...lots of the buildings have not yet been excavated and the ones that have are amazing. I'd suggest renting a mountain bike at the gate to get around the site, it's just too huge to see on foot in one day. Be sure to climb the main pyramid, the view is incredible.

Other fun things we've done (my wife and I also like to get out and about) are the cave tour at Aktun Chen (dry cave) and cenote snorkeling...the zip line tours seem pretty cool but we haven't tried it yet. There's a tour company called alltournatives (I think they have a website) that I've heard is good but we haven't actually used them.

We mostly go to dive and have made good friends down there and are happy to recommend dive folks/shops if you're interested. Otherwise, there's great snorkeling in Puerto and it's a nice place for dinner and an evening stroll.

Just make sure to get out and away from all the overcrowded sites a bit, the jungle is amazing and there's a lifetime worth of things to explore as well as fantastic beaches, great food, and good people!

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Cat on Saturday for a week - last minute...

Thanks for the great tips - Jungle info will look into.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras