We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Innisfil, Ontario
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Catalonia Riviera Maya

We are back from our two week stay at the Catalonia. Had an absolutely amazing time. I will post my review in the next couple of days as I'm sure it will be quite detailed. Unfortunately on the 16th when we left we had a 6 hour delay at Cancun airport and didn't reach our house until 1 am and we had left the hotel at 7 am so am still trying to catch up on some much needed sleep. In the meantime if you have any questions please do not hesitate to direct them my way. :-)

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya

If you want to really explore the area, a good purchase is a map of the entire area including Cozumel. You can purchase it from www.cancunmap.com. About $8 and I received mine within a few days. I agree that Building 1 is the least desirable. I have read to try to get rooms in Building 7 which would be the closed to the beach area. From being there, I think that is a good assessment. Be determined to get an inside room facing the pool and garden area and ask for ocean view. The way the resort is designed, there aren't alot of ocean view rooms. We received a room on the back side of Building 1 (Room 1135)and had a "nothing" view although it was quiet. The disco is now in the bar between the Italian & Mexican Restaurants. Don't know where it was previously, but we never heard any construction noise from them rebuilding it so don't know if that is happening. All this talk about the rooms sounds like a "downer" but it really isn't. It is a beautiful resort and you will enjoy it. Also take advantage of the free bus rides to Playa del Carmen. They make a round trip, twice a day. The bus is very modern and we never had any trouble getting a seat on it but it's a good idea to sign up for it the night before.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya

Thank you so much you are a big help. If you can think of anything else please let me know. Also with pool, Bar, And ala carte rest. did you like the best? Thanks

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya

The pools were all nice and very clean. There is a swim up bar also. The Riviera Maya side where you are staying seems to have all the action (games, water exercises etc...) but honestly didn't even visit the pools on the Yucatan side where they say it is quieter. Our favorite restaurant was the Mexican but others named the Italian as their favorite. Probably just depends on your personal taste and your choices. Be sure and order the Mexican coffee at the Mexican rest. I had Grouper at each place and thought they were both very good (just don't get a chance to have good fish very often). Both places were as good as any fine restaurant in our opinions. The Steak Restaurant is quite casual and I had a shis-ka-bob which was good. Be sure and make your reservations asap upon arrival. If you are traveling via a travel agency - it might be worth a try to have them book your reservations at the specialty restaurants before you arrive. Don't know if it will work but worth a try. One other hint - when you arrive really snoop around or ask for a quick tour for there are alot of "hidden" great spots that you might not notice until well into your stay. No where at the resort is it posted that you shouldn't drink the water in your rooms but we were told that. Water is cheap ($1.) a bottle and you can keep refilling your bottle at the buffets and snack shack. I never drink the water no matter if it posted or not. My review of the resort should be appearing soon on this board and although it sounds rather grumpy because of our rooms, reservations and lack of safety deposit boxes, we did enjoy our vacation at the Catalonia.

wildrose wisconsin
Level Contributor
712 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya

do you know any room numbers from building 7 to ask for that have a good pool or ocean view? also you say there are hidden spots what are some of them? thanks for all of your info!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya

Unfortunately, I don't know of any Room Numbers in Building 7. The staff speaks good English so should be easy to communiciate your requests. The "hidden spots" - we didn't know at first that there was a bar and the two Specialty Restaurants up on the second level along with the Ice Cream Shop and a terrific view until one of our friends discovered it. Imagine we would have found it sooner or later. There is also free bike rental over by the Yucatan Beach side. Didn't realize the non-motorized sports were free either but then I am not one to read up on this stuff upon arrival. Good thing we travel with friends. There are also computers to use off to the side of the Lobby Bar for a few pesos charge and a camera in the Lobby that takes your picture so you can send a free email and picture to friends back home for free. But I don't want to ruin all the surprises! I do want to clarify my earlier statement about sounding grumpy in my review. The inconveniences we had - were not important to us but our guests were our customers and regretted the situations because of them.