We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Beach Resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chepachet, Rhode...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Catalonia Beach Resort

Could someone kindly give us their opinion of the beaches and water at the Catalonia. A large group of us are traveling in April and are worried about the quality of the beaches. Will be staring at "turquois blue" water?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia Beach Resort

The beach and water at the Cat are different from many other tropical spots. The resort is arrainged off of an inlet that was once a mangrove swamp. There is alot of old coral reef in the water and above. The beach right in front of the Cat is improved by being elevated about 4-5 feet above the water, with stairs to descend to the actual ocean. Just north of this is the lagoon. Its not rocky and is tranquil. Just south is a typical stretch of caribbean beach. If you want to frolic in the waves be sure to take water shoes ($5 at Target). Check out Locogrinco dot com. There is a page that shows aerial photos. THere you'll get a birdseye view.

We enjoyed the beach experience very much and plan to return this spring.

Oklahoma, USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia Beach Resort

Hey jhg654, I appreciate the info on the aerial shots! They're great.

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia Beach Resort

Hey Mrs C,

Just got back Jan 27th, & beach is great, lots to choose from. Sandy if you like sandy beaches, and rocky coral, for those that like to snorkel like myself.

I have a lot of pics posted on my website if you would like to view. Just copy & paste the following in your web browser.

aplusnetworks.ca/pictures/rivieramaya2006.htm

Marvelous resort, enjoy :o)

MA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia Beach Resort

I will also be going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya in April, the 15th-22nd. There will be 8 of us going. I too am interested in how the beach is. Pictures can be deceiving, and I'm a little worried what the beach looks like. We are all beach bums, just looking for a great place to sit on the beach,warm turpuois water, plenty of drinks, and some good food. Is there one building that is better than the other? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia Beach Resort

Hello,

Sorry I should have stated that those pictures I was referring to are ones that I just took.

Yep, the beach is great, sandy towards the south, (Right side when looking out to the ocean), & rocky to the north. The rocky part provides pretty good snorkeling (Which I like to do, & if you like to snorkel, you may want to bring your own gear). There is some small pieces of coral scattered throughout but nothing drastic, & staff seemed to be constantly cleaning these up. The only time I needed my "Water Socks" was when I was exporing the rocky section.

The bars serve NAME BRAND Liquor & a $1 tip & there to the bartenders, or servers that wander around will insure that your drink never goes empty.

By the way, grab yourself a BIG Insulated mug, the glasses they use are piddly.

Enjoy yourself, we certainly did. :o)