We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

My husband and I are headed to the Catalonia in Febuary. We heard that we don't need passports as of yet to go from the U.S. into Mexico. Is that infact true?? Other people say that you need passports? Will we be hasseled if we don't have them?

Also, we were wondering if anyone else is staying at the Catalonia Feb 10th to Feb 17th? We can't wait to go!!

Jackson, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

I heard that you will need a passport to enter Mexico after January 1, 2006.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

I have heard you will need a passport to Mexico 1/1/2007

wis.
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

It is 1/1/07...

Jackson, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

Sorry, I was incorrect, it is 12/31/2006 for Mexico. The 01/01/06 is for Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America. Website below for more information.

http://www.aurtravel.com/html/passport.shtml

White Bear Lake, MN
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

Hopefully this will clear some things up...

travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

White Bear Lake, MN
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

More passport info.

What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements. The goal is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors.

Who will the Travel Initiative affect?

The travel document initiative will affect all United States citizens traveling within the Western Hemisphere, who will now be required to carry a passport or other accepted document.

It will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States namely most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda and Mexican citizens.

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

I thought there was an additional phase to be implemented on December 31, 2005. Is this a change?

In April 2005, the Departments of State (DOS) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, DOS and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers during the upcoming winter tourism season. This change will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements.

Maine
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

thanks for all the good info!!

Laconia NH
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

YES! My husband and myself, my daugher her husband and our 2 year old granddaugher are going the same time ,We can't wiat, last year we took them to the Iberostar in the Dominmican it was nice, but I ahave been a faithful reader of trip adv. and the cat sounds like a Winner. I was told by the US POst ofice that you do not have to have them until next year 2007. but we went to Mexicoin 2003 and they gave us a big hassle about our birth certficates when we landed in Caccun airport.we wasted alot of time Hey! You will wnat to keep going back to the cat so get them done asap! See you there! Barbara from Laconia N.H>

Laconia NH
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

Glad we coulb be of help, The Wongs Will be waiting for you at the Swim up & Cig Bar!!1

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passports from the U.S.?? Also Anyone else staying at the...

We will have about 60 people (30 couples) there Feb. 15 thru 23. All from Nebraska, USA. But never fear, we won't all be hanging out together and we promise not to be loud and ridiculous!