We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
VA
12 posts
Save Topic
I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

Hello all.

My husband, 9 month old son and I were in PA during Wilma and the week following. We stayed at a private residence on the beach but spoke with many people from the Cantalonia and spent my final day on the beach at the Sunscape. THEY still have GREAT BIG beach!! If anyone wants any updates please reply and I will tell them what they need to know. We go to PA frequently to visit family. Any questions, I will try to help. We just got back last thursday.

Churdan, Iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

My fiancee and I have booked our honeymoon to PA at the Sunscape for the week following Thanksgiving. We are concered with the way things look and if we will be disappointed. Can you give us a heads up while we are waiting on our travel agent?

Churdan, Iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

My fiancee and I have booked our honeymoon to PA at the Sunscape for the week following Thanksgiving. We are concered with the way things look and if we will be disappointed. Can you give us a heads up while we are waiting on our travel agent?

VA
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

Hey Hoef-

We were at the Sunscape beach last Wednesday (the 23rd) and they were making repairs while trying to get the evacuated tourists from Cancun out and home safe. They had alot of broken windows but structurally it looks good to me. They had just reopened the week of Wilma. All I saw was the outside and the lobby. The pools were pretty messed up, but the beach itself looks great. I had heard anywhere from a few weeks to 2 months. I would call to be safe. In general PA is open as far as the town and businesses surrounding it. Hope that helps. Any more questions I will try to help.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

Hi! Glad that you are safe!

How was the Catalonia? Did you get to see anything? You mentioned that you spoke to some people. Anything newsworthy?

Thanks!

VA
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

Hey Travellinfool-

We are fine. A little shook up, but fine! I spoke to many tourists at the Catalonia and they were well taken care of during the storm with hot meals and a generator. They could not stop talking about how happy they were with the resort. We watched from our room we took shelter in, the damage happen to the resort, which was minimal. They lost two palapa's and a few windows. I heard that they would open the earliest. From what I could see, the beach looks fine. Did not walk over to the resort, but the people staying their spoke very highly of it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

Witte6, thank you so much for the information. It must have been quite the experience, to say the least.

tox
england
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

hi thank you for offering to find out things for us we stayed in catalonia for 2 weeks in sept 05 and was woundering how bad the hotel was damaged and if everyone is ok if you can please try and get some pics and send them to us we are going back next sept 06 as we have already booked thanks again my e mail is paul_tox@hotmail.com

Madison,WI
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

Hello,

I have reservations for 12/25 at the Catalonia. What damage was there? Will it be worth it to go to soon or should we rebook for later in the year? How about the tourist attractions like the ego-park? Don't know what to do. Your help is greatly apprectiated.

Charlestown, RI
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

We have a trip planned for Dec. 1st to the Omni in PA - any news on how things look at the Omni? Thanks in advance!

VA
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I was in PA during Wilma and the week after

TOX- I do not have any pictures of the Catalonia, but from what I heard, it is being repaired now and does not have too much damage. If I get any pics, I will send them to you.

Jazmine- I am almost positive that the resort will be fully repaired by 12/25. Anything south of PA is in better shape than north, so the eco parks and ruins near Tulum should be just fine. Attractions in PA such as Capt Ricks Fishing and some restaurants are open for business now.

Ricrackers-The Omni had a few more problems with the roof of the bar/lobby fallen, but I am not sure how long it would take to fix it. Can you give them a call????

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras