We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Riviera Maya--good food?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Waunakee, WI
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Catalonia Riviera Maya--good food?

Considering a stay at the CRM this spring. How is the food? Sounds like the service is very good. Would appreciate any other comments regarding pools, activities, beach etc.

Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya--good food?

The Cat has a very tropical feel to it, and the only dining done indoors are at the Italian Restaurant and the Mexican Restaurant (ala carte, reservations only, once per visit, above the buffet).

That said, it is very humid on the Riviera, and crunchy foods (such as chips) do not stay crunchy for long at the outdoor restaurants.

Having been a guest at the Moon Palace for lunch while were in the Mayan Riviera area, comparativly speaking, the food at the Cat is good, not great.

The food at the Moon Palace was incredible, but the ambiance reminded me more of a Hotel than a tropical resort.

As previously stated, the whole of the two Catalonia resort's are very clean and well maintained...

The buffet area is very clean and well stocked, but the food was less than impressive.

That said, there is so much variety you will always find something you like.

The Pizza maker never stopped, and if nothing else appealed you could always have pizza.

The snack bar (near the pools) is where you will find the "reservation lady" for the ala carte restaurants.

The snack bar was good with burgers/hot dogs, etc.

At night the snack bar is turned into the ala carte Steak Restaurant, and then turned back into the snack bar until 2:00AM.

At the Steak restaurant, the "T-bone" I ordered was not really a T-bone steak, but was still a very good cut of meat.

Bars were plentiful all over the property and they have Pina Colada mix on tap...if your not a drinker ask for one with no alcohol, they are very good.

All in all, the Cat was better than the Omni we stayed at in the Cancun hotel zone several months before, and definitly a nice place to stay for the money...but I will try somewhere else when we return to the area.

Feel free to ask specific questions...

Des Moines, Ia
Level Contributor
225 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya--good food?

Chryguy, thanks for taking the time to post so much info. I could live on pizza, so I guess I'll be ok. Any ice cream? Actually any vacation where I don't have to cook at all for 1 week is great. We do mostly time share and I freq cook to have money to spend on other activities. So I think AI will be great.

Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Catalonia Riviera Maya--good food?

Yes,there was Ice Cream and an array of other desserts.

Most nights there were two flavors of IC,some nights only one...self serve from a tub. Also the IC freezer seemed a little on the warm side as the IC was very soft.

In the day time most of the sugary things (french toast,desserts) had bees on them,so you had to be careful when serving yourself.

All of the cheese cake-looking desserts at the buffet had a weird rubbery texture I found unpleasant. But the cheese cake at the ala carte restaurants was fine(?).

The chocolate layer cake was great...

The Flan (mexican custard) was made with different flavors...thankfully...some of the flavors I found to be less than pleasing.

The Empanada's were very good...the Italian food made to order at the Buffet was also great.

Like I said,with the great abundance of food at the buffet you will find things to go back for...

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now