We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia in December 2005

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Catalonia in December 2005

Just wondering if there are any other people going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya in December. I will be there with my husband from the 11th December for two weeks. I am really looking forward to it as it will be my first visit to Mexico.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia in December 2005

Hi sunnylj

My family and I will be staying at the Catalonia from December 18th for two weeks. I have stayed there 3 times before and every time I have had a wonderful holiday. I'm sure you will too.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia in December 2005

Hi sunnylj

My family and I will be staying at the Catalonia from December 18th for two weeks. I have stayed there 3 times before and every time I have had a wonderful holiday. I'm sure you will too.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia in December 2005

Hope to see you there. it will be nice to escape the UK winter for a couple of sunny weeks in Mexico over xmas. I am looking forward to the trip. I am sure the hotel will be in great shape before I get there.

Got any travel advice. ie what should I take with me on holiday or wait till I get their to buy goods.

are things expensive etc

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia in December 2005

Hi sunnylj

Most items are relatively cheap. I love the beautiful silver jewellery they make. The choice is unbelieveable. We took a small travel kettle with us so that we could have a cup of tea in the morning without having to get up and go out. (They will provide you with tea bags and little cartons of milk, which we used to keep in the ice bucket overnight).

We also took some insulated mugs, so that when you are on the beach your drinks stay cool.

Do prepare yourself for Cancun airport, it can be a long wait to go through passport control. I waited for nearly two hours the last time I went. On other occasions its been about half an hour. It depends on the number of aircraft arriving and the amount of staff they have on duty.

We also take a number of $1.00 dollar notes with us. You can use these for tips at the airport. We have never been hassled by the luggage handlers, but as you probably know they earn very little and I'm always cheered by their happy smiley faces.

You are not expected to tip at the hotel, but the service I've always been given deserves it and $1.00 goes a long way in Mexico.

Hope thats given you a bit more insight. If you would like any more information please don't hesitate to ask.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia in December 2005

thank you for your reply. It is always benficial to hear the views of other fellow travellers.