We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency do you take and is there a language problem

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
What currency do you take and is there a language problem

Hi there

I dont want to sound ignorant but I am not much of a traveller. I have only ever been on one other foreign holiday before I booked this one to the Catalonia for 11th - 25th December. Last year I travellled to Jamaica , Negril, and got married there on the 8th September and got hit by Hurricane Ivan on the 9th which ruined my entire 2nd week.

I have booked Mexico in December hoping that I will not encounter any major weather problems.

My main question is what currency do you take spending money in? is it ok to rely mainly on credit card and is English widely spoken or am i going to have trouble communicating.

Seattle
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency do you take and is there a language problem

Hola,

I would not depend totally on your credit card (don’t forget to tell your cc company you will be in Mexico). I would take some cash, travelers (these can be exchanged at your resort) checks and just use the credit card for the resort or at the ATM machines. If you are out and about you are usually going to pay in pesos or small US (not money from the UK) bills. Remember, your change will come back in pesos. While most of the locals can speak some or good English (However, many of the house cleaning staff speak no English) it never hurts to learn a little of the language. It is amazing what a little Spanish, some English, and a lot of hand signs can do (and it is fun). Now I will give you (you can mail my tip in cash) the most important language lesson you can have. The word for NO in Spanish is NO. Got it? You will be saying this to every timeshare shark you meet. Go forth and have a great time.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency do you take and is there a language problem

Cancun bob, thanks for your advice it is much appreciated. have you stayed at the Catalonia Riveria Maya? I have booked a two week trip from the 11th Dec and I am a little worried about some of the reviews I have read.

Seattle
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency do you take and is there a language problem

Hola (Hello or Hi) Again

Buenos Dias (good morning)(It is morning here)

We have never stayed there. However, you will see reviews on many resort all over the map on what people think. Take them all with a grain of salt. What is great for you might not be that good for me. I have heard people upset at marble floors in their rooms (try cleaning sand out of a carpet and the possible mold problem) or the fact that their room smells musty. Of course they forget they are in a tropical climate with heat and humidity. The truth is what you make it. Remember, you are going on an adventure (it will be good) that you will never forget. Go with the flow and have fun.

Hasta luego (until later)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
754 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency do you take and is there a language problem

For those of you needing a little Spanish language refresher, try this site:

http://www.fodors.com/language/

Just click and go!

As for credit cards, do the following:

1. Take only ONE credit card (VISA, M/C or AMEX) and your debit card. there is no need to take evey card you own.

2.Alert your bank and your credit card company of your travels to Mexico

3. Your bank probably does Mexican currency echange and will give you a favorable rate. Check around, but avoind places like Thomas Cook (IMO) because their rates are the highest.

4. If you will be spending the day at the beach and/or will not need your cards, lock them in your room safe.

5. For hotel/resort purchases, charge everything to your room.