We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesos or American Money?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Pesos or American Money?

How many pesos do you need for a week? I don't want to use my credit card much as there are plenty of fraud schemes out there. What I am unsure of is if I should be paying for cabs, excursions, dolphin swim with American dollars or pesos? i know for souviners to use pesos, and tipping the hotel to use dollars. But what about the rest pesos or dollars?

Thanks for all advice asap as I leave Sat.

tx
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesos or American Money?

I would probably exchange the dollars in mexico as the exchange rate is better. Best advise is always ask cab drivers the price before you take off. About credit cards i usually pay for all the tous with a credit card, because if you have a problem you are insured by your credit card company, i know this all to well from past trips. If you do encounter a problem your credit card co. does all the investgations and you will get your refund!! SO don't worry have fun and stay away from all the pushy people in the airport they tell you you will get something for free, and you dont' they can be very very pushy just keep saying no or just ignore them.

MN
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesos or American Money?

Best exchange rate is to get peso's from an ATM. Changing US $'s will usually cost you an extra 8 - 14%.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesos or American Money?

Agree with jsfox. Also would add that most tour operators will charge in USD. Restaurants etc will be better with pesos. Also, I have noticed a tendency for vendors or shops who will take USD's to round to 10 pesos to the dollar, when the exchange rate is officially around 11. So for causual buying, have pesos, for tours and such use dollars.