We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

90-100% Chance of Rain All Day!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
90-100% Chance of Rain All Day!!!

We've visited the Riviera Maya/Cancun area about ten times over the past 15-20 years, mostly in early to mid June. Haven't been in 3 yrs. Had one visit when there was a 36 hr. period of mostly downpours with a few breaks of light rain. Miserable, but at least we were there a wk. and it was at the end of our stay. Just looked at the 10 day forecast and OMG! The chance of pretty much all day rain (hr. by hr. forecast) was running 90-100% every single day from the day of arrival through 3 days later when we depart! This was a last minute birthday present to my spouse and I know forecasts can be wrong, but I am very distraught, feeling anxious and in the dumps. Guess I just need to vent and hoping to maybe hear some reports from others who faced similar forecasts like this that were wrong!

Edited: 12:47 am, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
4 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 90-100% Chance of Rain All Day!!!

Check out this thread for info:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15080…

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 90-100% Chance of Rain All Day!!!

mlbcruiser,

90 - 100% chance of rain DOES NOT mean that it will rain ALL DAY EVERYWHERE; rather that it is likely that it will rain SOMEWHERE during a 24 hour period. Well, you ARE headed to the Tropics, and it IS rainy season, so yeah, the likelihood of it raining SOMEWHERE in the area during rainy season is pretty good I'd say..... that is why we call it the TROPICS and not the desert. The only exception would be if something Tropical is a brewing off-shore.....

My best advice is to quit watching weather reports; one can actually drive yourself nuts in the process. Pack your bags, make sure to pack lots of sunscreen, and once there apply sunscreen liberally and frequently. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 90-100% Chance of Rain All Day!!!

Just in case anyone out there may be able and want to change imminent travel plans, it was about 30% -50% sunny mid day Yesterday, (Tue) until about 3:30 pm. Then dark clouds and winds with a down pour began around 4 and lasted for 30-45 min. Since then it has gone back and forth between no actual rain to moderately heavy raon to drizzle with brief lulls. Looked brighter around 8:30am today but by 9 rain was coming down pretty good and steady. Paytern continuing as I write this. Forecasts are for this to continue through all of Friday. It has definitetly caused the closing of several covered but outdoor restaurants which are main dinner venues at our resort and has been a negative impact on most activities in the general village area. Hope it miraculously breaks but not looking good at present. This is not a storm exactly, but it is lasting more than the usual scattered summer rains. Better bring some good books or else plan on drinking and swimming in the rain! ☹️

Edited: 1:23 pm, June 13, 2018
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 90-100% Chance of Rain All Day!!!

There is a lot of tropical activity around the area, and a wave is passing through at the moment. Lots of rain and some wind gusts. Its the start of the rainy season and this is usually normal in order to keep everything looking nice and green.

Reply to: 90-100% Chance of Rain All Day!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;