We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

I was just looking at aerial photos of the Barcelo Maya resorts. In one photo just north (very close) to the Palace's most northern rooms there is a large body of water. Appears to me to be a massive pool. In older shots there is simply trees in the aerial shots. Anyone know what I might be seeing?

9 replies to this topic
Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

Immediately north of the Palace is the Puerto Aventuras marina inlet waterway.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

Google maps also shows the Cenote Media Luna... might that be it?

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

Thanks for the responses and wish I was technologically sound enough to attach the picture to which I am referring. I examined aerial pics of puerto aventuras. The water I asked about may be part of the marina, but not sure. In stating that it is close to the far north room of the Palace, the water appears to be merely steps away from the far north service road that makes it way to the lobby area of the Palace.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

For anyone curious. I just returned from the Barcelo Maya resorts. The water I am referring to you will not see unless you see a newer photo of the area. It appears the marina is being expanded. I walked the service road of the north part of the Palace one morning and new buildings and what appears to be an extension of the marina now reach the border of the Palace.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
502 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

So it is possible to walk to the marina from the Palace? We'll be returning in November and have a couple of avid walkers with us. Thanks.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
281 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

I'd like to know if you can walk to the marina also. That would be great!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
585 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

I am interested in knowing if you can walk to the marina as well. Anyone?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,613 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

Yes you can. Well, not sure 100% about the marina, actually. But you can walk to the lagoon style aforementioned Cenote that is there.

When we stayed there (at the Palace- about 7 years ago now I think), the men walked to it one morning and tried casting from shore- no luck though. You just walk north along the path in front of the restaurant until you get to the low stone fence (might or might not still be there) and scoot over it.

Note- they said there was lots of garbage in the area and also a couple of sketchy-seeming characters lurking about. Just FYI.

edit- I see Mark was just there- sounds sort of like the same situation? I think they did say it was part of the marina....

Edited: 1:22 pm, August 10, 2017
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace

I stayed at the Barceló about 7 years ago and I took a snorkel trip to Akumal from the resort. On the trip back the boat went past the resort and took us into the cove just north of the Palace. there were a couple of small ruins on the shore and we snorkeled in the very calm and clear water.

Reply to: Aerial photo...land just north of Barcelo Palace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted