We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to San Luis Petosi from San Jose Del Cabo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Goddard, Kansas
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to San Luis Petosi from San Jose Del Cabo

We are thinking about flying into Dan Jose Del Cabo and renting a car and driving to San Luis Petosi. Is this a good option or is there a bus, shuttle service or other options

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
3 replies to this topic
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to San Luis Petosi from San Jose Del Cabo

Um, have you looked at a map? Why would you want to do this?

Edited: 1:39 pm, June 13, 2018
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,937 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to San Luis Petosi from San Jose Del Cabo

One way, or round trip?

Bus travel in Mexico is generally excellent, and if I was making that trip, I wouldn't even consider a car. Too expensive and a hassle. However, by bus (and ferry) you'd need to piece together a few segments. Might take a while.

Consider flying via Mexico City.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to San Luis Petosi from San Jose Del Cabo

Well the Baja Ferries are really fun, perhaps take the one from La Paz to Mazatlan, rent your car there and do the drive via Durango and Zacatecas to SLP - I´d do multiple days as there are fantastic places to visit along the way. I actually did this by ferry and bus some years ago before they built the new road up the Sierra Madre and it was great. But not worth doing IMO unless you have time in each place - say San Jose del Cabo for your vacation, La Paz is worth a day, the ferry is overnite, Mazatlan is always nice depending on your dates - v busy Xmas and Semana Santa, then Durango worth a day or more, maybe the Sierra de Örganos national park, Zacatecas City has 3 days of sites, then on to SLP. Totally depends on your time, your money, your interests, level of Spanish and comfort level foreign travel. No kidding lots of motorcyclists do this route and I even know road bicycle people from Mazatlan who have done the Maz-SLP ride - wow that is not easy on the quads.

Mentioned in this post
Baja Ferries
Baja Ferries
217 Reviews
La Paz, Mexico
La Paz
La Paz
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Durango