We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Colorado
8 posts
Save Topic
Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

A group of us will be coming down to the area in February and would like to head out to do some deep sea fishing. I read a few of the other threads and noticed some of you went fishing while you were down there. Some MN folk went fishing down there I noticed as well....any luck?

To all who have fished in the area. Who did you go through and how much did it run you? Also, do you have any recommendations of more local type guides that could get us a better rate? If so, please let us know.

Any comments or experiences are appreciated!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

Bare with it/ Labrat (Keith) will be chiming in soon as he is our fishing expert along with Dorado if he's around. They are highly recommending reservations NOW not waiting until you arrive. Check the archives for a list of recommended guides/boats.

Colorado
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

Will do. I noticed the LabRat was a MN boy as well. That's who I was hpign would reply. I'll check the other threads as well. Thanks!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

Hey IB !

If you read the other posts, I won't cut and paste the same info!

I usually go out on the Gringo Loco with Luis Maciel. It's my yearly gifty to myself! And besides, it gives the Girl Friend a day to shop without me looking over her shoulder LOL.

Check the moon phase for when you are going to be there. If it is the dark of the moon, think Sailfish. If it's a full moon, think Tuna.

If your fishing with more than just a couple of guys, and you want to fish together, then you'll be looking for cruisers. Sorry, can't help with those, but you should have the info from the other posts. Pangas are comfortable for 2 in my opinion, but lots of folks fish 3 or 4, if some are just going for the ride.

Last year I didn't get the bruiser of a Tuna that I tied into to the boat. Luis was laughing the whole time, telling me he saw the fish that hit the spoon, and it was as long as me. (5'10") I was on a 40lb test spinning rig, and it left a softball sized bruise on my ribcage from the YANK. Then on the troll into the bay in the afternoon, I had on an 11' Sail that tossed the hook 10' from the boat. What A Gas!

I can't guarantee a fish, but I sure have a blast!

Pangas run around 200 for the day, and Cruisers go for around 350 and up.

Have a Great Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Keith

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

P.S. If you vist mexfish.com you can see what's biting up and down the coast!

Keith

Minnesota
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

Dorado passed this site on to me

http://www.fintastic.com/ixtapasportfishing/

We have fished Sail in the past and always landed a couple.

HTH

Colorado
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

Right on! Nice to see such a great response to the fishing thread, much appreciated!. I will definitely check out the Pangaas with Luis. Do you recommend that I reserve before I head down there? I'm assuming not but I'm going down 2/10-2/17.

We slaughtered the Tuna (bonita) in Guam and can't wait to try it out down in MX. I'll let you know how it goes LabRat.

Thanks again,

BONE

7. Re: Fishing in the Ixtapa - Zihu area....where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa