We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Restaurants??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit Mi
10 posts
Save Topic
Great Restaurants??

We haven't been in 10 yrs. Planning on Feb. 07. Any restaurant ideas????

Minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Restaurants??

We just returned and had great food and service most everywhere. Here were the places we visited:

-Frank's in Ixtapa was our favorite. Very friendly staff and great food. Try the Amazing Shrimp and the Ribs.

-Emilios in Ixtapa had great brick oven pizza and garlic bread.

-Momma Normas in Ixtapa was also very good and cheap for tacos.

-Daniels in Zihua was average for lunch- most other people thought it was very good for the dinner meal.

-Kau-Kan in Zihua was excellent, great view of the marina. The prime rib and red snapper were very tasty. They try to go the extra mile to ensure you are enjoying your food. Reservations are recomended, but we were able to get right in.

-La Perla on La Ropa beach had great coconut shrimp. The table under a palapa on the beach at sunset was very romantic.

-Hacienda de Ixtapa was our "great find" for breakfast. Unfortunately, we found it the last day. Their breakfast special was $4.50 and included coffee or tea, juice, toast, any style of eggs or pancakes or waffles, and a choice of meat.

-Carlos and Charlies and Sr. Frogs served great drinks-try the Rumba, it was a huge drink for just over $5. The pool at Carlos and Charlies would be a great place to spend the afternoon.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
381 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Restaurants??

Los Huaraches for casual Mexican. El Faro for fine dining and great view. Casa Marina in Zihua for funkiness. Coconuts in Zihua for fine dining. El Galeon at the marina for fine dining.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Restaurants??

What is the dress code for dinner at Daniels, Kau-Kan and Coconuts?

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
381 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Restaurants??

I think it's all pretty casual. I would not wear a t-shirt or flip-flops though. My boyfriend usually wears nice cargo shorts, like Union Bay and a collored shirt with boat shoes. I wear a long skirt or nice sundress.

North Bend, WA
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Restaurants??

Our best meal with the best view was at Villa de la Selva in Ixtapa. Dress up a little and go before sunset-bring your camera :)It's a little more expensive than the restaurants in town, but here you get what you pay for !!!

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
381 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Restaurants??

I prefer El Faro over Villa De Le Selva. The food is better and so is the view. You can see all of the bay in the hotel zone. At Le Selva you only see the bay Las Brisas is in.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
87 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Restaurants??

We ate at Two Fats in Feb 2005. Tequila shrimp prepared at your table - excellent! Also ate at the marina - Beccofino. American breakfasts at Golden Cookie Shop.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Restaurants??

Breakfast at Hacienda de Ixtapa and Chili Beans (love those banana pancakes). Golden Cookie Shop was also good but seemed more expensive than several years ago. Franks was good, but thought it should have been better. Casa Morelos, great; Emilio's - great pizza. In Zihua, Tamales Any was great for "real" Mexican food. Had their pozole and tortilla soup. My all-time favorites restaurants are Casa Vieja and Bandidos. I must say I was pleasantly surprised about Bandidos. It was awesome and the waiter was wonderful.

Grand Rapids, MI
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Restaurants??

We just got back last month and really enjoyed cocnuts in Zihuat. It's an inexspensive cab ride and the driver will know where it is. Try the pork chop. I know it sounds odd. I would never ever order a pork chop or even make it for dinner...but it was amazing. Moist, tender and melts in your mouth. It's so thick you could serve 2 people! We did and followed up with yummy banana's foster made tableside. (We shared the entree...so we deserved dessert!!!)

Emilio's had delicious wood fired pizza's and my brother really loved the ribs. It's nice for the night we didn't feel too adventurous and scouring a menu.

I did enjoy the food at El Faro. It is pricey...but my husband and I did each have appetizer, salad, entree plus dessert...(Lay off, we were on vacation!)

Other than that, we had it hit or miss. Some I didn't like, I may have just ordered the wrong thing.

Toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Restaurants??

For lunch, we loved Chili Beans for the informal and very friendly atmosphere. More importantly, the food was great -- try the rajas quesadillas with chihuahua cheese. Mmm.

For dinner, Coconuts in Zihua was good, but by far the best meal was Beccofino's, which is at Marina Ixtapa. Outstanding by any standard. The one right beside it (can't remember the name, but it's recommended in Fodor's) wasn't that great, especially after having eater at Beccfino's the night before.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa