We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving soon! Two questions...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MPLS
3 posts
Save Topic
Leaving soon! Two questions...

A friend and I will be making our first trip to the area to celebrate her 40th bday. I am wondering two things-

1> Should I bring my passposrt, or just the photo ID/birth certificate. I had heard that things move faster if you have a passport... anyone know?

2> How will we know when it is safe to eat food/drink water or not? Are most the hotels and restaurants serving food washed is clean water and clean ice? How careful do we need to be?

Any help would be so appreciated!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving soon! Two questions...

1; Passport. If your taking Traveler's Checks some places won't cash them without one.

2;All major htels have thier own filter systems, so not to worry. I haven't been ill eating anywhere in the area. I think most of the "bad" reports are from people who have over imbibed. So let's term that one the Mexican Hangover!

Prior Lake...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving soon! Two questions...

Bring your passport - things go smoother. As for the food we have been to Ixtapa twice and Mexico nine times and never been sick. We do not eat from the street vendors but every place else has been great for us. Have fun.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving soon! Two questions...

We've been traveling to Mexico for the last 16 years with our kids and have been using just the official birth certificate and drivers license. Doesn't seem to take any longer than anyone else. I know we'll have to get them by next year but not until we have to. We have never had any problem cashing travelers checks either.

We drink bottled water when we are at the beach but I have drinken tap water when I brush my teeth. We have pretty much eaten anything, anywhere, and have never gotten sick except for that Mexican hangover mentioned before. My kids have been going to Mexico since they were babies and they have never gotten sick either. Don't worry and have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving soon! Two questions...

I find it easier and faster travelling with my passport as well. Especially since you already have one.

Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving soon! Two questions...

Never had any issues with the water or ice in the hotels, but try to drink bottled water when it is available, just in case.

One thing that we didn't think of last trip to Mexico (Tulum/Playa del Carmen) and my husband got sick on was a linguine with mussels. Definitely something about the mussels. We've been to Mexico a handful of times and that was the only incident.

Never any problems with other cooked fish or meat though.

Never a bad idea to play it safe and have some pepto in your toiletrie bag.

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving soon! Two questions...

Most hotels purify the water, but be careful, recommend bottle water. The fruits are pretty safe at the hotels. Wife got sick in PV from the ice and a 'smoothy", but no problems in Ixtapa.

Next year you will need passports to get back to USA! Passports help a great deal. You have to have the original birth certifcate and one form of gov. ID without the passport and you do not want to loose them. Take the passport and Driver Lic. and you will same time in customs.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa