We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants I can take my kids to....

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
restaurants I can take my kids to....

Hi, I really want to "escape" the AI resort for a few meals next week. I have read that there are a lot of restaurants that are real gems in ZIH in Ixtapa. A lot of things seem to be appear "finer dining." I am looking for lunch and early dinner suggestions with a 2 and 5 year., and Gma and Gpa. Casual, seafood, sandwiches, etc. but I dont want to venture out if I will get the evil eye dining with my kids, they do eat out often are are well behaved. BTW - 5 yr old could live on guacamole alone! I appreciate your help!!

W. Hollywood, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: restaurants I can take my kids to....

Iamn one of the owners of Restaurant Coconuts. Coconut’s has always welcomed families. For 26 years Restaurant Coconuts has been consistently picked by both US and Mexican travel books as the one of the highest rated restaurants in Zihuatanejo for food quality, ambience and service. Last years national restaurant ratings by the International Herald Tribune Mexico edition, rated Coconuts as "The Best Restaurant In Zihuatanejo”. A cursory look through any of the leading Travel guides such as Foders (“Foder’s choice”), Travel and Leisure, etc. will testify that the peddler ‘s post is not only verifiably inaccurate and biased, but inappropriate in it’s slander of the owners, whose crime in peddler’s eyes seems to be that they are “American Entrepreneurs”. The owners have in fact been living and working in Zihuatanejo for over 35 years.

The building housing Restaurant Coconuts is probably the only truly historic building left in-tact in all Zihuatanejo. It was built in the mid 1800’s, owned by a French colonialist family. It functioned as the weighing station for the local coconut industry. (Thus the name Coconuts) it was confiscated during the revolution and used as a field hospital. It later served as an art school until and earthquake damaged it badly in the late 1970's. . It was totally preserved and restored by the present owners. It is probably the best example of the real “Old Mexico” in all of the Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa/ Troncones area. It was there over a hundred years before ‘peddlers” so-called ‘authentic’ Mexico Pazole Ally even existed.

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: restaurants I can take my kids to....

thanks to you all for your valuable information - we anxiously await Friday and our arrival! Gracias!!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: restaurants I can take my kids to....

Joe Just a suggestion. Why not print your menu with Prices to let all decide on their own if it is a "family" restaurant for the average family.

The experience of Pozole Alley has nothing to do with a age of the structure where it is located.. In fact you dine in the "Alley" Al fresco where all the restaurants are owned by Mexican Nationals & serve real Mexican food to mostly Mexican People not "Part Timers" from Hollywood. In fact you can feed a family of four for the cost of a glass of wine in other places. A True Mexican Experience!

W. Hollywood, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: restaurants I can take my kids to....

Peddler

We do print our menu on our web page. But as I’m sure you know, no upscale restaurant prints their prices, due to constant menu changes, specials and the fluctuating currency commiserate with the dollar to peso exchange rate. I see you are constantly recommending the Villa del Silva. I agree that it is a very good restaurant. I have eaten there many times. Probably more often then yourself.

The Villa del Silva does not post their prices ether. I find it curious that you are asking me to do something that the restaurants that you recommend do not do. More importantly, why do you frame the question in such a manner as to suggest that our not doing so is somehow covert? Like all restaurants in Mexico, we are required by law to post our menu prices at the entrance.

I love Pazole and tacos. My wife and I have been eating in what the Gringos have named pazole Ally long before you even heard the word Zihuatanejo. But, your comparing a restaurant like Coconuts to restaurants in Pazole Ally is like comparing week old limes to 1 kilo red mangos. They are both tasty and edible, but the reason for the cost difference is obvious. You have absolutely no idea what your talking about when referring to “real Mexican food”. There is practically no real cuisine particular to the state of Guerrero, with the exception of some types of Pazole and Civiche. Any Mexican chef knows that. If you look at Mexican cookbooks , you will find the thinnest chapter is always on the state of Guerrero. Real Mexican Cuisine is a very specialized, regional and highly labor intensive. Coconut’s serves some of the best of it.

You might also consider that when you are using price as the main rule of thumb, which is your most consistent reference in recommending restaurants, you may want to consider the difference in the hygiene infrastructure of those establishments including proper professional refrigeration, grease traps, separate raw food preparation areas to avoid cross contamination, hot water and anti-bacteria soap for dishwashing... and whether you are getting a legitimate government approved numbered check. If not, you are paying the 15% sales tax, but it is not going to the government and therefore not into improving the community infrastructure and most likely contributing to pollution.

We have noticed that whenever Restaurant Coconuts is mentioned in anyway on this forum, you never fail to say something negative about it, usually pointing out we do not have an ocean view and your opinion that our prices are high. Your correct that we do not have a water view. Neither do most of the finest restaurants in the world. I admit we don’t even know how to cook a water view. But we do not take a back seat to any restaurant for ambience and atmosphere.

You are absolutely wrong when you say we are over priced both in the sense of the quality and quantity of our food and as compared to other restaurants of the same quality and ambience in the area. In fact, your statements in that regard are overtly misleading at best and IMO irresponsibly untrue at worse. Our prices over all and relative to the ingredients dish being offered, are lower or the same than Villa del Selva, Casa Que Canta, Bogarts, Villa del Sol, etc.

With all due respect, seeing that you practically stalk with negativity anyone who has anything good to say about Coconuts, it would appear you,m or someone you represent may have some personal problem with Coconuts. All the most respected travel books and many of the most respected international food critics give Coconuts very high grades. Your statement that Foder’s gives Coconuts a low grade is also grossly misleading . The latest edition names it their

“Coconuts

Fodor's Choice

Continental, $5 to $25, Zihuatanejo”

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Guerrero
Guerrero
Pacific Coast, Mexico
15. Re: restaurants I can take my kids to....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:08 pm, February 09, 2007