We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villas El Morro

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Villas El Morro

This is our first trip to Ixtapa. I know this resort is on a hilltop, but can anybody advise how hard it is to get around walking for groceries/shopping or going to the beach? We are staying for 11 days would anybody recommend renting a car, if so in Ixtapa or online from home?

Big Apple
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villas El Morro

For the past five years, we have stayed for 8 weeks at a condo right across the road from Villas El Morro. You will find at the bottom of your staircase another set of steps (166) which lead down to a road which will take you into "El Centro." We, older people, walk down every day, to a gym or the mercado, or in the evening to dinner. We always take a taxi back in the evening!!! You do NOT need to rent a car. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. If you are a walker, you can walk into town and then take a taxi "home." At the bottom of that second set of steps are some good restaurants: Coco Bahia, Casa Bahia, and closer to town, Lety's. You can walk to the beach, you can call a taxi to Villas el morro, or you can find the taxi stand in El Noria (ask someone) and drive to several beaches. If you find a taxi driver you like, you can get his telephone number and call him when you need him. Car rentals are expensive and tricky. Avoid them. Ask people at Villas el morro about where to find taxis and buses, and walk around yourself. People in general are helpful and friendly. Just remember Please and Thank you in Spanish.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villas El Morro

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villas El Morro

I read an article that says they don't take credit cards because of the hassle, is this true? Is there an ATM close by? How far away is the closet beach? and is it nice?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villas El Morro

Many places want no credit cards...as it is a hassle and costs them to process them...if they ask for cash they probably are not paying taxes to the Mexico government!!!

Take the boat over to Las Gatas...would be the easiest...or take a cab over to LaMadera or LaRopa...you can walk...but LaRopa would be a long way. There are rentals all over the LaMadera and LaRopa area which would be so much more convenient.

ATM's are downtown...some are stand alone's...others are at the banks...be on the lookout for any faceplates attached to the stand alones...cover up your secret code as you punch it in...just in case there are any hidden cameras...same as you would at home. Make sure you notify your ATM holder that you are going to Mexico.

DO NOT swim at Playa Principle...the beach that is between the pier of the fishing boats and LaMadera...pollution at very high levels...looks pretty...but do not enter.

At night you should take a cab home to your property...do not walk.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villas El Morro

In your experience, do you think it's a good choice to stay at Villas El Morro because of the view, or should we try to find a place near La Ropa?

When you say rentals all over LaMadera, what kind of rentals are you refering to?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villas El Morro

I personally would never stay over in the LaNoria area...it just isn't convenient to anything. Do you know you are going to Zihuatanejo? The airport is there...as well as the Villas El Morro is in LaNoria which is part of Zihuatanejo. NOT Ixtapa. If you want to be in Ixtapa...you are looking at the wrong area. Ixtapa is over the mountain...about 10 minutes by cab...and the hotels there line the beach area...

There are all kinds of hotels/condos/villas downtown, LaMadera or LaRopa area...walking distance to the beach and some to downtown...depending on how much you care to walk. Bus from LaRopa or cab...or walk...bring water as you will get thirsty!

Edited: 4:10 pm, March 18, 2014
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villas El Morro

Yes, we know we are going to Zihuatanejo, I've checked on the map and was advised to go there by someone who just got back. Supposed to be nice quite fishing village. In your fisrst post you stated you stayed in a Condo across from Villas El Morro which is in La Noria, but your last post says: I personally would never stay over in the LaNoria area

I'm Confused!

Big Apple
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villas El Morro

I wrote you first about staying across from Villas el Morro. You later received communications from a different poster who spoke against La Noria where Villas el Morro is located. We are two different people with different opinions about what is desirable. We love our condo and its location off the beaten track. What's important is what YOU want. Many tourists rent perfectly fine places in LaRopa and La Madera; not our cup if tea. Most importantly, you'll love Zihuatanejo...most visitors do, and once you've been there you can explore to see what you really want and where you'd like to stay.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villas El Morro

My apoligies Julia, I should have paid more attention. I agree with you, we would prefer to be somewhere more quite and off the beaten path. Thank-you for your reply.

10. Re: Villas El Morro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 20, 2015