We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azul Ixtapa Grand

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Azul Ixtapa Grand

We are a group of 3 couples in our 40's flying out of Toronto via Sunwing on January 27th; heading for the Azul Ixtapa Grand. We are so excited, other than the fact that Sunwing has changed our flight times...less than desirable now...heading to Ixtapa via P.V.

Few questions I'm hoping someone who has recently been there can answer...how did you like the Azul Ixtapa Grand? Did it meet your expectations? Is it true, can Azul Grand guests play at the Azul? Can the Azul Grand guests use the Azul disco? Any info you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Happy and safe travels all!

Ann :-)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

We are at the Azul Grand now, checked in earlier today. We love our large and beautiful room with sunset view! We were told that Grand guests cannot use the dining facilities at Azul Ixtapa. However, we are allowed to attend the evening show on that property. Rules seem a little bendable so if there is a particular restaurant at Azul you would like to enjoy. Perhaps an exception could be made.

Our first impression: shiny, spacious, beautiful. Wonderful service and attention. Beach is small and a little sad but looks swim able at least. Pools are large, accommodating and divine. We enjoyed our first specialty restaurant thoroughly and I will have a full trip report upon completion of our stay :)

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

Hello..I think you have to be on the All-inclusive plan to use both resorts..will look forward to your trip report..LOL.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

Ann,

A few updates for you:

We were able to make a reservation at the Oyster Bar at Azul without question even though a different staff member told us we may not dine at the sister property's restaurants. We went to the Azul today and weren't questioned at all about being there, ordering a drink, etc. the disco opens at 11pm and I would assume it is open to guests at both properties but I can try to confirm (if I make it that late one night!)

We enjoyed the lobby bar at the Grand very much. It is very spacious, has good music and lots of games are offered.

The hotel is immaculate and staff very friendly. It is a little "sterile" and therefore lacks a little soul but if you are looking for a decent all inclusive with beautiful grounds, rooms and good food. This is definitely the place! We have 4 more days and I will be completing the trip report this weekend :). The folks who we've talked to that have been here longer all have raving reviews!

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

Thank you so much for taking time out of your vacation to answer my questions SEGMN, it's greatly appreciated. After reading your comments, I'm even more excited to get there on January 27th. Hoping you have a wonderful time your last 4 days there. I look forward to reading your full report once you return.

Cheers!

Ann

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
585 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

Thanks SEGMN - we are very happy you are taking the time to fill us in!

I am looking forward to your report!

Ontario
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

We are going on the 27th as well and our friends are trying to book last minute but only the 1 bedroom suites are available - anyone know about the people staying at the Azul if they can hang out at the Grand during the day,etc?

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

Hey cam_alicia...from what I have read the Azul Ixtapa guests are not permitted to play at the Azul Ixtapa Grand however the Azul Ixtapa Grand guests can play at the Azul Ixtapa. My suggestion would be to call the hotel direct.

Keep an eye out on the price for the 1 bedroom suite, my husband said the price for a suite on the 27th was really cheap yesterday however the price is back up today. Perhaps your friends could luck out and get a suite for a rock bottom price.

Good luck!

See you on the 27th :-)

Happy & safe travels!

Ann

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

Cam_alicia,

During our stay, guests at either hotel were allowed at any facility on either property. It seems that this rule is a little unclear but I can say that for sure during the days we were there, Azul guests were swimming, eating and drinking at the Grand without question.

Ontario
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

I just read a review that guests travelling with Sunwing who had to stop via PV had to disembark and then reboard the plane! My travel agent said we wouldn't have to get off the plane...I hope this is true! After 5 hours in the air, I want to just get there!

Ontario
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Azul Ixtapa Grand

We were also told we would not have to get off the plane by our travel agent and sunwing.

They told us Puerta Vallarta customs made the decision and we had to go through customs, on the better side you didn't have to go through customs in Ixtapa you went straight to baggage pick up.

So hope this does not happen on your flight as it was a pain and a big rush, but you did get to stretch your legs and they even gave us a drink of water after getting back on the plane.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa