We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

Will be in the area Jan 11-18 with the fam and would love to get a day of fishing in but im on my own for the fishing part. Anyone interested to join up? Not picky about what we go for, just like catchin fish!

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

Have you considered taking the entire family out with you? It's a great way to spend a few hours on the water and see the area from a different perspective. Most captains would be glad to teach the kids how to fish. They will probably also see dolphins, sea turtles and other marine life up close.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

the 4 year old would love to but not the 16 month old...maybe in a couple more years.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

well - now thinking about taking the 4 year old with me and leaving mom and the little one back at the dock. Keith send me a great list of capts. Any of the pangas that someone would recommend over the others?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

Depends on what you want to fish for Duck!

I would watch the weekly report, and as you get closer to going decide what you want to do off of the reports.

Keith

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

With your 4 year old son you will only want to fish inshore for the smaller more abundant game fish. Have to slightly disagree with Keith about watching the reports as the inshore fishing is always good and there is no need to watch any report as you won't be going after roosters or sails. There are lots of great captains in the area and some are better with young children. I would recommend that you click on the green bar above for "Things to Do" and then click on "Activities" and take a look at our own member's current reviews.

I also feel it is always best to book your trip before you arrive. Please don't book with someone you meet on the beach or pier while there. You will have no idea of who they are, if they have insurance, a license, safety equipment, etc..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

Thanks guys - Seems like Ed Kunze is the Panga man so maybe Ill shoot him off an email. I found this website ixtapasportfishing.com/charter-fishing-boats… which lists Captain Arturo on the Janeth as the inshore expert!

I will definitely post a review once we go! Not sure how much "fishing" my daughter will actually do but she was soooooo excited when I said maybe she could come with me.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

Why don't you deal with Julio...

http://www.juliostours.com/

Good local fisherman who will do whatever you want him to do...take you with your son/or not...and his costs are not as high as others. He has a nice boat...and does a really nice job...you can go fishing, look for dolphins and whales, whatever kind of fish you want, he will try to help you get it...he is a father...so having your son along could be fun...or leave him at the Pier with mom...and just go out and see if you can catch dinner. If you do...go upstairs to the restaurant at the pier...and have them fix your fish for you...or cross over the bridge at the Pier...and go to Lety's...she does an awesome job...she and Julio are cousins...and are both wonderful local people who need the tourist money...and both work very hard doing that.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

thanks for the info - I'll drop him an email also.

Ferndale, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

I will be in Zihuatanejo for the entire month of January and plan to go out fishing several times for marlin, sailfish and large tuna. I am booking a boat through the Vargas family fleet and if you want to share boat cost for a day or two I am good with that!

Ferndale, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone want to share a 1 day fishing charter Jan 12-16?

My wife and I will be in Zihuatanejo for the entire month of January and plan to fish for marlin, sailfish and large tuna several days. I am booking a boat through the Vargas fleet and if you want to share the trip and boat costs for one or more days you are welcome.

Thanks!