We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip - Week in Review

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Trip - Week in Review

I wanted to give a quick summary of my first trip/experience of Ixtapa/Zih as I just returned yesterday and to start off, just have to say WOW! What an amazing place and thanks to everyone who helped me on this site prior to my trip. I know this is more of a review, but thought some info could be helpful to other people who are novices of the area.

We took the AeroMexico redeye out of Chicago and arrived early Monday morning (10/7) to the area. Airport was no issue, there are a few timeshare people trying to grab you, but nothing compared to if you have ever been to Cancun or Puerto Vallarta, which are my 2 other Mexico experiences. You come out and go to the right to the taxi stand and purchase your taxi voucher and then leave the airport and get right in the taxi, no issues. You can either pay for a private taxi or a shared shuttle. We were anxious to get to resort, so took the private taxi. Capella is quite a hike from the airport, I would say it took 20-25 mins to get there via the taxi. We arrived, checked in and spent most of Monday, just lounging around and recovering from the flight. Anyone who was in the area on Monday, wow, that was an incredible storm Monday night into Tuesday morning. Probably the most incredible lightning and thunder display I have ever witnessed. Tangent on weather, my fiancé was freaking out bc the forecast showed rain everyday, but we had sun and great weather all week, only that one overnight storm which the rain carried a bit into the next morning, but fantastic weather.

Tuesday we took a taxi into Zih and visited the craft market on Cinco de Mayo Street and we also had some lunch down there. Wednesday we took a cooking class through Capella in which we went to the market in Zih with the Capella Chef and picked out a lot of produce, some fish, and tried some tamales in the market. We then went back to Capella and enjoyed cooking with the chef in which we made two tomatillo salsas, ceviche, sopes, and tacos. This was an incredible experience in every way. Thursday we rode bikes from Capella down to Ixtapa and wandered around Ixtapa and Friday we took a Taxi to Playa Linda and visited that area before taking a boat over to Ixtapa Island to swim and eat/drink. Saturday we took a taxi back out to Playa la Ropa and finally Sunday we just relaxed at the hotel all day as we were leaving the next day. It was an incredible experience and I now see why so many people are in love with this area and return year after year. So many amazing people and places to see. We stayed busy in our week their, but barely skimmed what there is to do/see there.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playa Linda
Playa Linda
621 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Playa la Ropa
Playa la Ropa
1,194 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

wandalsh84,

Thanks for coming back to us with a report!!

Glad that you had as great a time as we all thought you would!!

It's all in your own attitude!

Keith

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

Agreed. Leading up to the trip we read some posts by people who said they went for the honeymoon and have gone back every year since going on decades and I now understand why. We almost ate seafood the entire trip and it was simply amazing. We did have some Cochinita tacos, which were to die for. Also, typically in Chicago, Pork is cooked al pasto style, but had some mahi mahi al pastor style, which was ridiculous! Honestly, when we previously went to Puerto Vallarta and Cancun after a week, we enjoyed ourselves, but were ready to go home, but after a week in Ixtapa/Zih, we were considering losing our passports!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

Snicker!

Welcome To Our Addiction.

I usually tell friends and family, go wherever you think you might want to go in Mexico first, and then go to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo.

Keith

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

Hola Wanda...thanks for your newsy update.

Glad you had a great time....if you are like me you are on the flight home trying to figure out "when can I get back there??"

What did you do on LaRopa beach. Did you enjoy it?

I think it's great when people post a newsy review like that upon return as so many newbies and us regulars to the forum can learn from it.

When you were finally there did it all "come to together and kinda make sense" all the info you gathered prior to leaving?

Welcome back....

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

Yes, we are laid back people, so I did research as to what is there in advance, but we didn't have a set itinerary and just let it all come to us and it all came together quite nicely. Every beach we went to, we just enjoyed the beach, the waters, and some good food and drinks. We went to "el Indio" on Ixtapa island and the lobster tacos we ate were pretty darn phenomenal. No clue what the preparation of them was, but phenomenal. We went to La Perla on La Ropa, which was also very good. If you're American, i'm sure you're familiar with the corona commercials, but I felt like that a lot while sitting on the beaches in Mexico. It was just so serene and quiet. I know it was still low season while I was there, so the probably helped my situation as far as it just being so peaceful, but I was in love.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

Nice!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

So glad to hear that you ventured off the Capella property and found you way to Zihua many times. . . that's what makes the area so fun and addicting.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,104 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

Great little report, thanks for coming back and reporting how you enjoyed Zihua and Ixtapa.

The Capella looks very nice- was it swanky? Would you stay there again or try another hotel? I love that you did that cooking lesson including the shopping, very cool.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

Capella is ridiculously nice and my wife and I are about as down to earth as it gets, but we never felt out of place, though it is a really really nice place. The staff is just beyond warm and accommodating to your needs. I would say food prices are probably high for Mexico, but we live in Chicago, so for us the prices were similar or cheaper to what we see in Chicago. The drinks were quite pricey though. When we went out in Ixtapa/Zih, we were getting a cerveza for 20-25 pesos and in the resort it was $6, so definitely higher, but we actually brought our own alcohol into our room. The truth is, it was our honeymoon and we knew we would be spending a lot of time in the room, I mean you have your own private infinity pool! so for that, it's worth it, but if you were going to spend a ton of time out of the room, stay somewhere else. For us, we spent the morning/afternoons out and then spent all late afternoon and evening in the room/pool, so for us it was perfect and we would definitely go back to that resort. If you want to sit by the pool all day and order drinks, you're going to have a huge tab though, but honestly, I never stepped foot in the hotel pool, again, you have an infinity pool in your room!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
848 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip - Week in Review

What a wonderful choice for your honeymoon, so glad you enjoyed your trip. There really is something magical about Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo that does draw you back over and over again.

Edited: 11:03 pm, October 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations