We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
152 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and immediately fell in love with images of the Capella Ixtapa resort. With flights from Chicago to ZIH being fairly pricey (not to mention to hotel isn't exactly cheap...), the vacation itself is quite a splurge. With this being the case, I set my sights on the "base" room type at the Capella (Ocean Front Junior Suite). Despite this, I don't want to pour a lot of money/effort into the Capella, only to be disappointed by their least expensive room type.

Unfortunately, Capella Ixtapa's website doesn't offer many pictures of the different room types, nor does it offer a very helpful comparison of their rooms. All the rooms seem to have plunge pools and ocean front views. Naturally, the more expensive rooms are larger, but that's about all I can tell. Also confusingly, the Deluxe Ocean Front Junior Suite is the same price as the Capella Ocean Front Junior Suite (the website gives the impression that the "Capella"-branded rooms are nicer).

Can anyone with experience at this resort definitively tell me the differences between the rooms and offer a strong recommendation for or against a certain room type? I'm willing to splurge on a beautiful room, but don't want to overspend in the case that all the rooms are very similar. I guess I'm looking for the room type that offers the best "bang for the buck."

Any other advice on this resort in particular would be greatly appreciated. I know it is an expensive resort, and don't want to give off the impression that I'm expecting it to be cheap. That being said, we're not exactly millionaires and want to make sure we get the most for our money.

Thanks in advance!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

Did you see the page where it compares each room category?

https:/…

Edited: 4:19 pm, October 12, 2013
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

Well, that link won't post.

Make a fake booking...and then hit "show all rates"...at the bottom of the nightly rate chart it says COMPARE rooms...hit on that, and you get a good comparison. I hate websites that don't let us copy the exact page we want!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
152 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

Thanks for the link...looks like Capella is slacking on keeping it updated, as the comparison "check marks" only work for 3 of the 5 room types. Despite this, I found the blueprint schematics of each room to be very helpful. It appears that the Ocean Front Junior Suite and Capella Ocean Front Junior Suite are identical to each other, as are the Deluxe Ocean Front Junior Suite and Capella Deluxe Ocean Front Junior Suite. The only difference I can surmise is that the "Capella" category rooms are on higher floors and therefore likely have better views. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm this? Are there any other benefits to the "Capella" rooms? Are these worth the additional price difference? As the resort is mounted high upon a cliff, is the view from the higher rooms really that much better?

Thanks!

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

When we were booking our rooms we were told that the Capella rooms had a better view. When we were booking there wasn't a huge difference in prices so we went ahead with the Capella Deluxe Ocean Front Junior Suite.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

Well, I am glad that someone else had problems with that website...I could only compare the first 3 as well...then nothing further. On the road with my laptop, so was thinking it was that...relieved it isn't the problem!

Appears to be the view...but with the Capella built on the rocks...all the views are straight ahead...keep in mind there is no beach there...makes my clients want to stay at the Viceroy in Zihua instead...and closer to walk to things, like restaurants and being right on LaRopa.

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

I actually just returned from Capella yesterday and came onto this site to write my review of the hotel and the area. This was my first visit to Ixtapa/Zih and it was for our honeymoon, so we also splurged and went with Capella. Honestly, the images on the website and this site is what sold us on the resort, but when we got there, I found myself even more amazed by how beautiful the resort and the views actually were. You are correct in that all rooms have an infinity pool and all have amazing views. You are also correct in that the "Capella" class rooms are only on a higher floor as I believe all are on the 6th floor. We actually chose the Deluxe Ocean Front as that is the larger room, but we didn't find the need to pay for a higher floor and we actually were placed on the 5th floor, so we still got a high floor. The main reason we chose the Deluxe Ocean Front is that it has a daybed on the balcony and it has more sun space on the balcony as the terrace is larger. I think you would be satisfied by any room at that resort though. The resort is pricey though, so feel free to send me a private message if you have any add'l questions. I am actually from Chicago as well, so we flew from Ohare to Mexico City and then to Zih.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
152 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

Hey wandalsh thanks for the very helpful post, I just sent you a PM!

8. Re: Differences between room types at Capella Ixtapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 18, 2014