We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Alberta
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

looking for good value, clean, good service, variety of activities, and good food. Which do you prefer and why? The beach will be the same at both properties.

Thanks

Williams Lake, BC...
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

The Barcelo is a much nicer property. Virtually every room has a decent view. The ala carte restaurant at Barcelo had better food and lunch had a full varied menu. Activities are going all day at Barcelo with what is regarded as the best nighttime Fiesta show on the hotel strip. Much larger pool system. More elaborate front desk so never communication issues. Onsite bank machine and convience store.

Usually Tesoro can be found for $300-400 cheaper per week, per person. It is better value than Barcelo.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
3,164 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Tesoro Ixtapa
Tesoro Ixtapa
852 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

If you're going to spend a lot of time at your hotel pool, then Barceló hands down. Otherwise, they've got the same sun, same beach, the same weather and the same ease of transportation to anything you wish to do away from the hotel.

Everyone has different likes, but for us, it's been everything the area has to offer except the hotel. Never been one to veg at the hotel. That can be done without leaving my city. We're there for culture, food and the weather. We just need a good clean comfortable bed and a shower for the 9 or so hours a day while we're in the room.

If you're one who is concerned with the address, the pick the Barceló, otherwise use the $$savings to enjoy some great dining and other experiences in town.

Edited: 9:24 am, September 13, 2013
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

Yup, Barcelo.

Tesoro is managed for timeshare and condo owners. Hotel guests kind of get the short end.

Keith

Mentioned in this post
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
3,164 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Tesoro Ixtapa
Tesoro Ixtapa
852 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

I haven't stayed at either, however stayed next door to the Barcello and walked past the Tesoro along the beach often. From the beach, the Tesoro always looked very crowded to me; Barcello appears to have far more space and a less Manic atmosphere around the pool.

Mentioned in this post
Tesoro Ixtapa
Tesoro Ixtapa
852 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Calgary
Level Contributor
357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

I have stayed at both properties and for a few hundred extra bucks I would definately choose the Barcelo for the amenities alone.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
3,164 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

Barceló hands down!! I am guessing the price difference is a lot!! I have stayed at both but the reason we stayed at the Tesoro was we were on a budget that year for 2 weeks and it was approximately $500 a person less than the Barceló and Presidente!! For the price The Presidente (ocean front room only) is not bad or the Krystal (junior suite). I feel the best AI for the price is the Sunscape Dorado Pacifico.

Mentioned in this post
Tesoro Ixtapa
Tesoro Ixtapa
852 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Krystal Ixtapa
Krystal Ixtapa
1,030 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico...
2,677 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
7. Re: Barcelo Ixtapa or Tesoro/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 18, 2014