We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street food. Zihuatanejo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sudbury Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Street food. Zihuatanejo

Would like to try food from street vendors. Any tips for avoiding problems?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

Wash your hands before you eat...

Your hands are what makes you sick.

Drink bottled beverages...NEVER Zihua water from the faucet

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

My fave street food spot was at the foot of Benito Juarez.. Near the canal. Tucked in a little doorway on the right was a woman selling tamales and sopes. They were delish!! She was lovely .. We ate there A LOT (stopped almost daily for snacks to take back to our room) over our two week stay. Never got sick.

Also on Calle Adelita check out Isabella's fresh juice stand.

Lots of great things to try at the basketball court in Sunday nights too. I'm a sucker for street food.. Maybe I've been lucky or have a tough gut, but I've never been I'll; tends to be the over consumption of tequila that gets me...

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

25 years and never a problem. Really do love the items sold at the basketball court on Sunday evenings. Also the numerous places that sell "el pastor" along the sidewalks of Zihua. I make it a habit to add and consume lime juice in drinks and food where it may enhance the flavor. Google "lime juice health benefits" and you may be surprised.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

Go to the stand with the most customers. means the food isn't sitting.

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

Washing hands is a must. Many years no illness in many places on the Pacific and in the interior..

We also have yogurt daily.

Enjoy the culture.

Edited: 10:12 am, September 11, 2013
blaine, mn
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

Mexalberta,

Is that enjoy the Mexican culture, or the yogurt culture?

We've never been sick on street food either - I'm pretty sure a daily dose of yogurt has something to do with that - keeping the good bacteria going in your gut...

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

I agree with snowbirds....good advice stopped at those place and Dona Issabella is such a sweet woman to talk with and learn from.

Ditto the hand washing....I carry handi-wipes EVERYWHERE and use them every time something heads to my mouth which in Zihua seems to be a lot! YUM! I drink my beer and Coca Cola from the glass bottles. For sure don't use the ice chunks that are in your beer buckets on the beach for hydrating or your drinks...they are for icing purposes only.

Enjoy!

Sudbury Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

el pastor; a name for ?

Sudbury Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

smart for yogourt

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Street food. Zihuatanejo

El pastor is a method of cooking the meat for tacos. Originally it's slices of pork that are marinated then put on a vertical spit in front of a flame. Slow cooked. The outer parts are sliced off.