We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

I'm between staying at the Capella Ixtapa and Banyan Tree in Acapulco. We will be on our honeymoon, so we plan on spending a lot of time at the resort and figure we will spend a lot of time eating drinking at the resort. What is the typical cost of food and drinks at the resort? Also is the food good? My fiance really want relaxation in luxury, so that's why we are looking at these two resorts. We will probably venture out to the town a couple days we are there. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

This is a small high end 5 star resort. It has alot of stairs. Good for pool people but bad for beach people. No good beach here. Off the beaten path with great ocean views. Food is great and around $75 for dinner with drinks. Some suites have their own pool attached to the room.

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

Online it looks amazing and the views are splendid, which is more important to us than a beach as we are pool people. Thanks.

3. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:06 am, January 17, 2015
Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

I actually looked at La Casa and both those places have similar rates to Capella, but Capella has a deal right now your 3rd night free, so with 6 nights, I'm getting 2 nights free, which obviously brings the average nightly rate way down only paying for 4 nights.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

I've been to La Casa and it's nice, but I don't think worthy of all the high praise it receives. As for Zihua v. Ixtapa: one is a fishing village with lots of local charm, the other was developed as a tourist destination. If you aren't going to leave the hotel, not such an important distinction. You can run/ride a bike into Ixtapa proper from the Capella. I believe you'd have to cab/bus it from La Casa down to the centro of Zihua.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

I have been to all three. Capella is magnificent, but for a honeymooning couple, you can't beat Amuleto on the hill of La Ropa, but I am sure other hotels will beat their prices. Best food and best view out of the three. It will be a matter of your own opinion which towns you like better, Ixtapa or Zihuatanejo. Whatever you do choose, you can't go wrong. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Amuleto
Amuleto
393 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Washington DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

I stayed at Capella last year and we loved it, as a result recommended the Capella hotel and friends stayed at the Capella Cabos last year and loved it as well. We are returning this year with friends, it is a beautiful place, just unique setting on the cliff, and service is outstanding, I cannot wait! I think it is a great honeyI've not been to La Casa Que Canta or Amuleto but they both received strong reviews, just luck brought me to Capella and hard for me when returning to same area to not stay with there as the experience was one of a kind, unforgettable. I believe the La Casa Que Canta or Amuelto might be smaller and right in town so perhaps if that's important for you that might sway you to those instead but I will add that it is so easy to get from Capella Ixtapa and experience Zihut, it is approx 15-20 minutes drive, we rented a car last year and was really easy, and as many on the forum noted you can also just take taxis to see the towns, it is really easy. I trust you will enjoy any one of them as they all received top ratings, so you really can't go wrong with either one, enjoy and have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
La Casa Que Canta
La Casa Que Canta
596 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Amuleto
Amuleto
393 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
8. Re: Has anyone stayed at the Capella Ixtapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations