We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Roll Call Jan.16-30

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
227 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Roll Call Jan.16-30

Hello all

Back to the Barcelo Ixtapa for our 15th time.

Just wondering who might be there this time around?

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
135 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Barcelo Roll Call Jan.16-30

Wpgoman, I just finished and posted my review. It shows as pending and I don't know how long it will take to be public. I went into detail on the review, but because you are leaving tomorrow I will give you the condensed version. Breakfast - is limited to one buffet, standard omelette station but only one cook and long line ups (depending on how busy the hotel is, of course). Other choices of hot food were normally stewed meats, tortilla shells soaked in some sort of sauce, potatoes and hot vegetables. Occasionally you would see bacon, sausages or poached or scrambled eggs. The fruit is fresh and good, assortment of pastries and cereals, yogurt and smoked salmon.

Lunch is a choice between the buffet near the beach (best choice) and the snack bar. The snack bar appears to be open to the public as it has prices on their menu. The food here was disapointing. You could order burgers and fries and sandwiches, but the portions were small, burgers not great and ou can get a better salad at McDonalds. The buffet lunch is the best meal they offered while we were there and has a large selection of burgers, hotdogs, fries, a hot grill dish (pork, beef or fish), and really good guacamole.

Dinner buffet is limited to the hotel buffet (same as breakfast) unless they shut it down for Mexican Night, which is held in the entertainment area. We went once, but did not enjoy the food and the live entertainment was so loud we felt like we were having dinner in a bar - no conversation was possible.

The dinner buffet offers a grilled entree, a pasta bar every night (which I didn't have but seemed to be popular) and a selection of hot meats and fish. They had a decent salad bar and a pretty good selection of deserts. The biggest frustration was they the restaurant staff were very slow in refilling empty trays so sometimes you had to go back a few times to get what you wanted.

Keep in mind that we were there at high season, and maybe things will have improved a bit by the time you get there. I hate being the bearer of bad news. The good news is that there are lots of restaurants across the street that offer good food at decent prices. This year we only ate at Franks, which has fabulous pizza, although I believe that his prices are high.

I hope that you enjoy your holiday and look forward to reading your review.

Alberta
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Barcelo Roll Call Jan.16-30

We leave in a week for Barcelo. 2nd time there and the food is good, but not great. We are going for the weather (best on Pacific in Jan) and we like the ability to go across the street to numerous restaurants for cheaps suppers and drinks. As long as the weather is hot, pool is warm and drinks are cold i'll be happy!

Hopefully there's a few more people coming... but if not more room in the pool for me!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Barcelo Roll Call Jan.16-30

Guess your holiday is over. Post reviews and help everyone.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Barcelo Roll Call Jan.16-30

We are headed to the Barcelo for the first time this year...on 2/14. We usually stay at Las Brisas, but wanted to be on the main beach this time around. How was your trip and do you have any recommendations re: the Barcelo? Tips for a first timer? Thank you!

15. Re: Barcelo Roll Call Jan.16-30

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 09, 2014