We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Iowa
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

From what I see it looks like the Bayview Grand and the Amara are two most upscale complexes? I'm looking to rent a place for March and am trying to compare the bids from the two complexes and want to make sure I understand advantages/disadvantages to each. If you have knowledge you can share please do so! Thanks!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
965 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

The Bayview Grand Res. was amazing for us. The 2 bed unit was spacious, equiped with everything we needed and on the 'calmer' end of the beach. The on-site restaurant was a huge plus for us. Very inexpensive with a great variety. 2 great pools, palapas on the beach and we never had to fight for a chair at anytime of the day.

I found that the majority of the guests there were owners, average age was 60, so quieter and no music blaring around the pool.

I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

Either Bay View Grand will be at opposite ends of the beach from each other.

(Residential to the South, Marina to the North)

The Amara is sandwiched between the Sunscape Dorado Pacifico and the Krystal hotels, with Cristine the Krystal's Disco just behind and to the north of the Amara. Past Amara patrons will have to tell you if that was an issue.

Keith

Edited: 4:32 pm, December 03, 2012
Calgary, AB Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

We stayed at the Amara and never heard the disco. The room we had was beautiful, and never had a problem with finding a seat at the pool or on the beach.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

Thanks Mitch!!

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

Depends on how many people there will be.

Amara units are mostly all 3, 4 or 5 bedrooms...Bayview Grand will have various sizes.

I have been in and photo'd most all the units at both Amara as well as the Bayview Grand...and both properties are beautiful.

Amara has less people around...so the pools are very quiet and they also have the cheap drinks at the bar, and snack type food available. It is heavily owner occupied...many are from South America as well as various places in Mexico.

Both have very strict security...no one gets in except the actual people who have rented the property...so don't expect to rent and then to bring in lots of your friends.

And keep in mind that each rental is privately owned and decorated to that owner's tastes...a few are set up as "owner" units, and some are set up as "rentals"...therefore there will be a difference in quality of surroundings which reflects into the prices.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

Our trip to Bay View Grand residential was awesome. The pools had some people, but were not crowded or noisy. The on-site "snack bar" and drinks were super cheap which was also great. I say snack bar as it was not really fine dining, but hot dogs, chicken nuggets etc. The fanciest thing was a cheap carne asada plate for something like $7. We had a ground floor villa which was even that much sweeter with kids.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

The more I've been reading sound like even the condos aren't immune from big crowds but at least it appears I can get a lot of room in the actual units and at a reasonable price. We are there the week before Easter so that should help with crowds but still there during Benito Juarez's birthday national holiday on the 21st.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
965 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

2shorties.. The BVG snack bar may have added a few things.. last Spring they had a couple of seafood 'entree' type items. Also a number of Mexican dishes. We had an early dinner there a few times. They close at 5. Still have nuggets and many other snack foods... The club sandwich was very popular!

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

When we were there one poolside food place was open, while the other side was closed. Our room was on the Las Brisas side and the restaurant was closed, and the snack bar on the marina end by the pool was open. Like I said it was quiet and probably didn't support having both staffed.

MN
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best condo complex in Ixtapa?

The Bay View Grand Residential now only has 1 snack bar. The other has been removed. You can get things ranging from chicken nuggets to coconut nut shrimp which is fantastic. I have never stayed at the Amara but have stayed many times at BVG in many different units. All have been great.