We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

I am trying to get a list of restaurants in Ixtapa on tripadvisor, with the ratings. But it keeps saying Playa La Ropa. Is expedia trying to make Playa la Ropa a "destination", or is it just too late at night and when I seacrh "Ixtapa mexico restaurants" I am doing something wrong so Playa La Ropa Restaurants come up instead of Ixtapa restauants. I hope that if I try again later I will see the list of Ixtapa restaurnts. I could swear there was one three years ago for my last trip. That being said, is there any decent food in Ixtapa anywhere? Thanks!

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

last year when we stayed in ixtapa for a few nights, we walked to the marina for dinner and we loved CHE MANGIAMO...we loved their food and their house chimi chimi dipping sauce. the food quality was very good BUT we really found the restaurant underneath called FISHERS disgusting! the food quality was awful; almost unpalatable, imho.

we also had flame broiled hamburgers at Reubens...quite cheap but just okay burgers; however, my teenage son loved this place!

che mangiamo review:

since this restaurant is only a 5 min walk from the BVG Marina so we wanted to try it out as it is rated as #1 with TA. my teenage son had a large pizza with anchovies and cheese while i had a large pizza with sausage, onions, and olives. we then shared a fresh fish (mahi mahi) caught in zihua this morning with a white garlic wine cream sauce along with a side of al dente spaghetti. the fish was EXCELLENT and so FRESH! we did not have any drinks or dessert and our bill came to 505 pesos before tipping. we couldn't even finish our pizzas so we brought it back to the condo for breakfast next morning. the food was great, the prices were so reasonable, and the ambiance was fantastic! we had a seat overlooking the marina/water under twinkling stars on a gorgeous evening. we even got home baked bread with garlic butter before dinner. what a super meal !

just yesterday evening we were at the restaurant downstairs and what a disastrous meal that was -- terrible food, prawns had chlorine taste, clams had grit and sand, and the meal was overpriced for what you get and the quality of the food was unacceptable for the prices they charge. no wonder when we left CHE MANGIAMO, the restaurant below was EMPTY while Che Mangiamo was nearly full and this was on a Tuesday evening.

+++the restaurant below che mangiamo is FISHERS

Reubens reivew:

my teenage son and i accidentally ended up at Reubens but he was thrilled because it's a burger joint; not so for me but i was hungry. my son had the 150gr sirloin hawaiian witht he pineapple slice while i had the smaller 120gr plain sirloin without cheese. both came with fried onions, lettuce, and tomato.

the burgers had a charbroil taste which is what we like but the beef was okay. i wouldn't say "wow" but it was just okay. i like it how they gave us a bowl of pickled onions, garlic, carrots, and peppers so we can put it in our burgers along with mayo, ketchup, and mustard. we shared a 1/2 side of fries and they were CRUNCHY--the best fried i have had anywhere. it is even better than some french restaurants because it was crunchy and crisp yet not oily. if only they cooked it in duck fat.....uummmmmm....yum!

the service was great...our waitress was wonderful but spoke very little english. the place was clean packed with diners that were mostly hispanics which was a great sign. they had a juke box with the latest music for 10pesos. the place was very airy and cool; not stuffy or warm at all.

we enjoyed our meal here very much....2 burgers, 1/2 order of fries, 1 beer, and 1 fanta with tips was 220 pesos.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

Sadly with the mess up of the Ixtapa/Zihua boards here, the Ixtapa restaurant list is gone. We like Soleaido (across from the Park Royal), Chili Beans (across from the hotel zone, you can't miss it), and Bigotes de Zapata, behind Scruples grocery store. The rest of the nights we're in Ixtapa we cab to downtown Zihua or LaRopa for our dinners.

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

The La Ropa list is the list for Ixtapa.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

Thanks for the replies so far. I hope I get more names of good restaurants in Ixtapa. I like Playa la Ropa, but Playa Palmar is also gorgeous. Odd they would put Ixtapa on a different beach. We ate a Rubens a couple of times, didn't get hamburgers, just some fries and baked chayote. The chayote was good.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

Gary and I are working hard with Trip Advisor to try to get this all sorted out. For some reason Trip Advisor has a glitch in their system...and when they were trying to fix things...someone ended up putting in Playa LaRopa...and now we are helping them get things fixed. A long email went off to them again yesterday...and they are forwarding it on to the powers that be.

Neither of us have any control over the board...and it seems that the ones that we are emailing don't either! But we are trying hard...sorry for the confusion.

Bad enough the town is empty...then this has to add to the problems.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

We've been to Frank's several times. I have a review here from a few years ago. It's on the plaza across from the hotels. His bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp is to die for. We go every time we are in Ixtapa. Will be back in February. Enjoy!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

How would I find reviews of restaurants in Ixtapa, including your review of frank's?

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

Because of the current mess, you need to go to the Zihua Forum and then click on the left hand side for Restaurants. Any restaurant that shows Playa la Ropa as the destination is actually an Ixtapa restaurant. Good Luck!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
515 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

OregonJimmy, heres my quick reviews of a couple Ixtapa restaurants.

Chili Beans...loved it, great food and dirt cheap with friendly hosts

Franks, similar to Chil beans review only a bit pricier but still cheap.

Reubens....despised this place, one of the worst burgers I have had anywhere. Don't know how this place gets decent reviews, Burger King is far superior.

10. Re: help, lost in tripadvisor's "playa la ropa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 14, 2013