We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

We are heading to Zihua this winter with some friends and staying (most likely) in a condo above La Ropa again.

One day we'd like to take them to Ixtapa and hang out for the day. I remember when Carlos and Charlies was there and a fun bar/beach club to hang out at-but is there is anything similar there now?

Where can we go to pit in, grab some loungers, have some lunch and drinks, maybe rent some boogie boards and spend a few hours?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,770 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Rissask ,

You are going to have to Day Pass it at a hotel this time.

With most all of the hotels hitting the AI trail, it will be pricy depending on where you wish to hang.

I guess if I were staying in Zihua, I would head for Las Gatas for the day rather than get hit for something like 60-80 U.S. per person for a day pass.

OR

For that kind of money, you could get yourself a day on the boat, and head to one of the more secluded beaches to party the day away! Fishing your way there, and having the crew do a beach lunch with your catch.

Just a thought.

Keith

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

I agree with Keith!! The cheapest day pass your are going to fine in Ixtapa is probably the Tesoro Resort.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Lots of families/locals out boogie boarding on the beach below Hotel Irma. they were having a ball. Guess it would highly depend on the waves while you were there. We were watching them play in March. They rented from the guys on the beach and several restraunt options right on the beach there too.Good luck.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Can’t guarantee it, but here’s something you might try and keep in mind that many things change there from season to season. There is (was) a restaurant in front of (beach side) the old Carlos & Charlie’s. Very informal. We ate breakfast there several times back in February and the manager/waiter (who’s name escapes me) is the kind of guy who would accommodate you. His wife runs a little massage tent next door. Being the seasoned traveler that you are, the one thing you must agree on is that the Mexican people very resourceful and will go out of their way to help you. That said, I’m positive this guy could hook you up with some toys and would love to have you hang out at his little place in exchange for some business. He’s not an early riser so don’t even bother finding him there before 9:00 A.M.

Ted

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Thanks everyone!

I sort of figured the answer would be 'no'. That is really too bad, as you can go to a place like Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres or Cabo or even La Ropa and Las Gatas and Isla Ixtapa...and find a place to hang out on the beach for the day. It seems odd they wouldn't have at least one good full service beach club on all of Playa Palmar, you would think there would be enough people at least in winter to make it worthwhile.

I think it will be Las Gatas and Ixtapa Island then, instead. (and we will be renting pangas too, 2-3 times. They can dump the ladies off at the island and then go fishing and come back with lunch! :) )

MaryAnn- thanks! The waves are 'too little' for my husband on La Ropa and Madera, he likes the big surf for boarding a lot better on the open ocean on the Ixtapa beach, or Playa Linda. :) For me it is TOO big. (Of course some days you can't do it there, it is dangerously high surf.) Of course you are right too- waves vary, last time we were there was very calm the whole week. March is likely wavier.

Too bad. I can't see us wanting to bother with a hotel day pass, but I did want them to be able to check out Ixtapa...we will come later in the day one day to wander around the shops and have dinner instead...any recommendations for dinner? Last time I ate in Ixtapa was lunch at Mama Norma y Deborahs last December, it was very good. :)

and thanks Ted, we will keep that in mind, actually that is what I said at first to him, that 'I bet there is a way to rent boogie boards on that beach somewhere, whether it's advertised or not!' :)

are there any public restaurants at all on the beach at all?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,770 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Re: Din DIn in Ixtapa.

I will get back to you on that. The way things are changing year to year in the area, when you recommend someplace, folks get there and it's gone!

We are looking to get some Las Brisas time in at the end of October, so I'll post back on our return.

Keith

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Yes, please do, thanks muchly, Keith!

I should have written that we are HOPING to go- nothing has been booked yet. This will be in February 2013. We still have a trip planned to Punta de Mita in November, which also is not booked yet (but we usually don't book until about 8 weeks ahead.)

I sure hope our friends agree to Zihua...crossing our fingers...I know once we get them there they will adore it like we do!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Go to the Emporio...they will love to have you..and the guys are right there in front of the resorts in that area with the boogie boards that you can rent. Enjoy some food, drinks...they are NOT an all inclusive resort and have lots of chairs at the pool, in the shade on the grassy area by the pool...or enjoy the beach chairs in the sand...

Don't give up so easily....you got to go and check out ixtapa!! Walk down to the right...towards the marina and check out the massage booths and see if there is that restaurant that used to be at Carlos and Charlies...

Edited: 12:01 am, August 23, 2012
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Thanks Judy- any idea on what they would charge us?

We have usually paid about 100 pesos for two loungers and an umbrella plus food and drinks at other beach clubs...one we went to on Isla last summer did it a bit differently, they did a flat charge of 250 pesos and you just had to spend at least that on food and drinks and pay your extra, and the loungers and umbreall were 'free'. That worked well. I don't think we'd be interested in pay a day pass charge each, though...but it depends.

We can always bring pareos and hang out on the beach and just buy beers somewhere and buy food from the beach food vendors...they have those, right? :) Or do they?

anyone see anyone selling those shredded coconut with sweetened condensed milk cookies anywhere in the area lately....haha...I dream about those... *blush*

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ixtapa beach bars & boogie board rentals?

Just buy food and drinks...should be no other charge...they have a public restaurant and bar...it is NON all inclusive...so they have others who come in and eat, drink and sun.

There sometimes are chairs down between the Barcelo and the Pacifica...you rent those...there sometimes will be a small food cart there but I would NOT eat anything that could spoil...stick with beverages and chips!! They charge for the 2 chairs, a little side table and one umbrella...think it was like 100 pesos for so many hours.

Not any food vendors on the beach...with all those all inclusives and the people who "are in jail" and won't go out to eat...they also will not pay for any food vendor type stuff.

There is a good vendor over at the artisians market...need to get to her EARLY before her food is all sold out...or look at the artisians market...and across the street sort of behind the first/last stores in Commercial Ixtapa...and there is a good Mexican food stand that is safe to eat from...maybe take away something from there...or eat it there before you go to the chairs by the Barcelo/Pacifica.

I have used the Emporio multiple times...I don't bring a COMPETITORS beach towel...they know all those colors/designs...but I bring a nice fitted twin sheet...use it to cover the chair, to lay on, to dry off after swimming...then take it back to my hotel...and just leave it. You might see the pretty material on your maid the next time you go...they are so good at turning in a pretty sheet to a blouse, dress, skirt, little girls clothes...so sweet.

I just go in, order a drink...and just sort of casually walk to a chair, and lay my stuff down...take a few sips...then lay out my stuff...and no one says a thing. Tipping with that first drink, DOES HELP!! Then later on the waiter will ask if I want something...I ask for a menu, order something...again pay as I go...and tip. Never had a problem ever there.