We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return flight - how early?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
Return flight - how early?

I searched the forum, but can't find an answer to this question. Roughly how early should we plan to be at the ZIH airport for our flight back to the US?

We are taking a non-stop flight on United back to Houston, which is our final destination. I think our flight departs ZIH about 2:30 next Friday.

¡Muchas gracias!

Becky

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return flight - how early?

Hi Becky!

Plan on 2 hours bare minimum (2 1/2 is better)

ZIH does a complete search of all checked luggage.

Since you are flying to Houston I will assume that you are flying United/Continental. When it was just Continental they used to have a disclaimer that you would not be checked in past the 1 1/2 hour mark. I don't know if this is still in effect since the merger.

Keith

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return flight - how early?

Becky, here is what i would do. Get there 2-2 1/2 hours ahead. Get yourselves and your bags checked in and then walk outside and hike a block and a half or 2 to the little store (Andy"s) and the little restaurant for a last cold beer and some very good Mexican food and enjoy dining outside. It'll beat sitting around inside the terminal. Get back in time to give youselves 30-45 minutes to go through the security line.

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return flight - how early?

Thanks for the tips! Yes, my husband & I are taking Continental/United. We've had nothing but hassles checking in with them since the merger. I hope this trip goes more smoothly!

And, ted61 -- you read my mind! I was trying to figure out how we could enjoy some last good minutes outside, instead of sitting in a (presumably) boring airport. :)

Thanks!

Becky

4. Re: Return flight - how early?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 pm, June 18, 2013