We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why all the haters?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Why all the haters?

As someone who reads the forum for advice and is coming to Ixtapa for the first time in May with my husband, I just want to thank all the forum advisors/experts who are not hating on Ixtapa. It seems there is a definite (with some) attitude of snobbery towards Ixtapa vs. Zih. which is kind of sad for a first-timer. But, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I understand some people want personal opinions, but it would be nice to state the facts that each place has to offer instead of bashing one or the other.

We own a timeshare and basically most resorts to trade to are located in Ixtapa and not Zih. Does it really matter? I understand it's a smaller planned tourist area like Cancun (there is a lot of places in Mexico like that) and as someone stated "has no soul", but I mean it looks pretty to me...how bad can mountains and beach/ocean be?

I plan on seeing both areas while I'm there and look forward to relaxing on the beach with a cerveza (or 3), and just enjoying the beauty and people of the area whether it's Ixtapa or Zih. BTW, I have been from the Riviera Maya to Mazatlan and Cabo, and Guanajuato to Merida. I feel ALL of Mexico has something great to offer even if these places are not "authentic" according to some.

But THANK YOU to the objective advisors on the forum, it's very helpful. And thank you to the ones who are not snippy when someone asks a "dumb" question.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why all the haters?

Hi beagirlie!!

You will have a wonderful trip!

Don't worry about the "purists" , you will find your own niche! It may be Zihua or it may be Ixtapa!!

Be pretty boring if everyone liked the same things! (not to mention that you would never get a reservation!lol)

Keith

Edited: 9:10 pm, March 14, 2012
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,317 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why all the haters?

I have seen this a lot and it is not only Ixtapa versus Zihua but Cancun versus Playa del Carmen, Bucerias versus PV, Cabo versus San Jose del Cabo, etc etc etc. People have their favourites and sometimes enjoy belittling those who enjoy another place to make theirs seem better in comparison....human nature to some degree, I suppose.

it's funny, I just read today a post (by a Destination Expert no less) saying that a guy who did not enjoy his PV vacation must 'therefore prefer the over commercialized and Americanized Caribbean coast'...pffftht, I had to laugh because the guy has obviously never been to Puerto Morelos, or Tulum, or Isla Mujeres....comments like that are just needlessly rude and in the end, quite ignorant...it's a big country and there is something for everyone and every style of vacation.

Personally we like resort towns that are smaller and not overly busy or crowded....that are laid back and do not have a lot of chains or heavy traffic or what have you....we do prefer Zihua to Ixtapa, (we stayed in Ixtapa twice and Zihua the last three times) but to each his own, I try to not be rude but more suggest that people should check out Zihua while they are in Ixtapa- they just might turn out to prefer it...or they might not!

Another big one is the whole AI versus non AI controversy....that always makes me laugh too. We have done both types and enjoy both for different reasons...yet you have people that are so staunchly dead set against one or the other they just look narrow minded.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
724 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why all the haters?

Well stated Rissask. I've been following that thread all day over on the PV board and can't believe the ignorance displayed by some.

Beagirlie - you will love Ixtapa. I too find myself tied to my timeshare trades which places me in NV instead of PV or Ixtapa instead of Zihua, but I'm so thrilled to be on a beach ANYWHERE in Mexico that I usually fall in love with wherever I'm traveling when I'm there....it sounds like you do too.

Have a wonderful trip!

BC
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why all the haters?

Well, I have to disagree with you.

If you want "facts" as you say, why don't you just read official travel brochures/ web pages?

If you want opinions, you come to sites such as this one. And so, you will get opinions that you might not like to hear, but that is all they are. You can do with them what you like: listen, dismiss readily, ask further questions, etc.

If you are feeling guilty, you only have yourself to answer to. So don't.

Denver
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why all the haters?

Again, thank you all for your replies. Labrat and Rissask, love you guys on every posting. And YES everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just like open minded views I suppose and find the positive in any place I travel. So the rudeness has been rubbing me the wrong way so had to vent:)

Anejo-y-Coca..thanks! I will enjoy and being from landlocked Denver, you're right ANY BEACH ANYWHERE is fine by me.

pumpermum...I will be looking beyond these opinions without ANY guilt and enjoying Ixtapa AND Zih I assure you. But thank you too.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,317 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why all the haters?

Who said they were feeling guilty? Did I miss something? lol

have fun, beagirlie! Every place in Mexico is special, IMO. I have been to ritzy places I would never go back to, and small towns that had great vibes and some that had not-great vibes...but I have never once had a 'bad' vacation yet.

It is for the most part a very individual thing in the end, what draws someone to a place. :)

Denver
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why all the haters?

Thanks again Rissask! Looking soooo forward to Ixtapa/Zih and a few cold ones:)

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Why all the haters?

I´M LOVING EVERY MINUTE IN BOTH IXTAPa AND ZIHUA! The sun is hot the beaches gorgeous and there is no snow!

I am however having a little trouble with the mexican keyboard on this computer! lol!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
525 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why all the haters?

Beagirlie, I know where you are coming from. There are always a few who will denounce Ixtapa every chance they get and tell you that you screwed up by not staying in Zihua. I enjoyed staying in Ixtapa at the Dorado and zihua is just a 5 minute bus trip away so it's no big deal.

Chanhassen...
Level Contributor
88 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why all the haters?

Beagirlie -

You really hit it on the head with that question - I've noticed the same thing lately.

I think the experts in any area feel that the standard resort tourist is missing something by not experiencing the local culture, etc. of that area (and we probably are).

Most may be residents or frequent visitors that might have forgotten how great it is just to be out of the snow and cold and lay around in the sun. That's enough for some people - there's nothing wrong with that!

Our group's been going to Ixtapa for 19 years now and many of us rarely get off the beach or away from the volleyball court during the day. We then hit the town at night for dinner.

We love it that way - a chance to enjoy each others company, the surf, the sunsets and to relax. We don't really need much more than this in February!

I do appreciate the information about Zihua that is provided by all - I'm all for promoting the culture and great places to stay and eat. But sometimes it comes out, like you said, a bit snobby towards those that don't want to participate.

Anyway - enjoy both (if you choose)! We just came back from a great 13 days there!.