We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Swim

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego,ca
Level Contributor
64 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Swim

Any info is appreciated on swiming with the dolphins, where, price etc.

Thanks

Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Swim

While this may sound like a warm and fuzzy thing to do, these critters are being held in totally inadequate conditions and these types of venues should, in my opinion, not be supported. I'm sure you could find all kinds of other neat things to do while in the Zihua area.

Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Swim

This might sound like a warm and fuzzy thing to do, but these critters are being held in totally inadequate conditions. These types of venues should, in my opinion, not be supported. I'm sure you can find all kinds of other fun things to do while in the Zihua area.

Fergus Falls, MN
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Swim

The dolphin prison is located between the hotel Posada Real and the restaurant Carlos & Charlie's. The dolphins have not been well-treated. You may choose to do what you want - I discourage people from supporting these types of businesses. I might sound like a tree-hugger, sorry about that.

I enjoy dolphins and I hire a "panga", a medium-sized fishing boat, every year. Dolphins swim alongside the boat, sometimes there will be dozens of them, swimming and jumping out of the water in formation! It is amazing, and I enjoy it quite a lot. I also see the great sea turtles and whales on these fishing trips. (By the way, I practice catch-and-release for the sailfish I catch, obviously.)

I hope you have a great time - I would suggest you bring some snorkel equipment, take a taxi to Playa Linda and a water-taxi to Isla Ixtapa and snorkel in the coral reefs - you will likely enjoy it! You can also rent snorkel equipment at many places on the island. You can ask the people at the desk at the hotel you stay in for more specific directions on how to get to Isla Ixtapa. I hope you have a great trip!

san diego,ca
Level Contributor
64 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Swim

Thanks for all the info. I might just take your advise on the boat thing.

Thanks

Fergus Falls, MN
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Swim

Good luck! I hope you have a safe and wonderful time visiting my favorite spot in Mexico!