We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Ixtapa/Zihuautanejo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cartersville...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Ixtapa/Zihuautanejo

I will be staying at Capella Ixtapa the first weekend in September and was planning on renting a car since Capella is a little off the beaten path. Renting from Thrifty for the 5 days I will be there is only $32 total so about $7 USD a day which would be much cheaper than taking taxis to and from town. I'm thinking even if we just use the car once and for the drive to and from the ZIH airport we're still coming out ahead rather than paying for a taxi! After reading several negative post about renting cars, I'm a little concerned though. Can I get some advice about the safety of driving, parking, travel times, added fees from rental agencies, etc so I can make the best decision?

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Ixtapa/Zihuautanejo

I'm not sure about the rate of $32 a week. That seems to be about 1/3 of what the regular rate is. This will be for a very small car probably with manual transmission and no a/c. Below is a previous post with things for you to consider. If you do rent, DO NOT drive at night!

Apr 19, 2008, 2:32 PM

Hi, I just got back from Troncones. We rented a car in the end, mainly for the airport transportation. I have my own insurance that was going to cover me, but the car rental company told me that if I didn't buy their insurance, they'd have to take a deposit for the entire worth of the car ($17,000). I ended up paying the insurance. So, it was $44/day, when the reservation I got on Orbitz was supposed to be $11/day. I used Thrifty, but I heard from other people that all the car rental companies were doing that. The good part about having a car is that we could stop at the grocery store on our way out and drive up and down the beach to the other casas. It's a beautiful deserted beach, which I highly recommend!

2. Re: Driving in Ixtapa/Zihuautanejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, February 20, 2011