We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

Just curious if there would be any reason for us to go to Ixtapa?

Anywhere else to daytrip to? I heard about Petatlan for gold, but gold isnt of interest to us. Anything else within an hour?

Personally, i think we will be fine without venturing anywhere. Might take a day to go fishing.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

I would go to Ixtapa just for the shock value. There is such a drastic difference between the two cities. As you come down the little hill and enter Ixtapa, it's like entering Disneyworld or another world. You'll see the golf course, lush green grass, perfect landscaping, all of the high rise hotels, etc.. Some people prefer Ixtapa but I can't figure out why.

To me, Petatlan is not worth the trip. There is the church surrounding by the carts of gold vendors. An excellent trip is to La Barra de Potosi, which is about 1/2 way to Petatlan. Beautiful, very small, beachfront village with restaurants. The trip getting there is half the fun.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

gary thanks,

Ive seen Cancun, so i dont think i need to see Ixtapa. :-)

Maybe we will though.

Barra de Potosi sounds interesting. Is there a colectivo from Zihua to there? How about cabs?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

If you go to Ixtapa, you might really enjoy walking the length of the beach. The crashing waves, the scenery of the open ocean, the people, the marina at the far end, it's a wonderful beach IMO. If you want to hang out for the day, many of the hotels can accommodate you with chairs and service. You might try lunch at the Dorado, we've always had good food there and the view of the ocean from their restaurant is fabulous.

Chicago
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

My family likes both Ixtapa and ZIH, and you might too. The beach in Ixtapa is great, since it's open ocean, and you can walk the entire length of it. There's inexpensive massages, waverunners, parasailing, etc. if you're interested. It's worth the $5 cab fare to check it out in my opinion.

oregon
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

I think Ixtapa is worth a day trip. The beach is very different from Zihua and I enjoyed a boat trip out to Ixtapa island for snorkeling and lunch.

In addition to taxis there are very frequent buses which are cheaper and kind of fun to ride.

6. Re: Staying in Zihua for a week, any reason to see Ixtapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, January 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa