We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

What time of year would be the best to go to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo? This would be our first trip to this area of Mexico.

Also, any input, suggestions, likes/dislikes to the following places to stay would be great! This would be for 2 couples just looking for a relaxing vacation.

Pacifica Golf

Pacifica Sands

Riviera Beach Resort and Spa Ixtapa

RHC/Park Royal Villas Ixtapa

Melia Azul Ixtapa

Sunclub Continetal Plaza Ixtapa

Club Intrawest- Zihuatanejo

Edwardsburg...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

I have a trip planned the first week of Dec. We are also 2 couples, and after much research chose the Barcelo because of location and amenities. My dad stayed at the Melia and Dorado. They liked the Dorado better, again, due to location and amenities. The Melia is outside of town and you have to take a cab or bus everywhere. Also, there can be lost of kids there because it's a family resort. The Dorado and Barcelo are within walking distance of great shopping, nightlife and restaurants! Also, I think the rainy season is August/Sept and ending in October. Hope this helps!

Fergus Falls, MN
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

bdwinz is right on about the hotels. I've stayed at the Posada Real in Ixtapa - not a luxury hotel by any means, but inexpensive and right on the best beach! Lately I've stayed at the Villa Mexicana in Zihuatanejo (La Ropa beach) and have enjoyed that - they too are more of a budget hotel but are located right on the beach. If budget isn't a problem for you, I've heard a lot of good things about the Club Intrawest (actually, I believe it is called the Westin). They are spendy but very luxurious and have excellent services.

As far as time of year, high season is from about December through March. It is the high season because the demand is highest and the prices go up. The demand goes up because the climate is nicest at that time. The summer gets pretty hot and humid, and unless you are used to it, it can be uncomfortable. As far as rainy season - the frequency of rain storms in Ixtapa/Zihua is unpredictable. It has been raining a few times in June (according to a website I follow), but there is no way to predict. Don't trust Yahoo weather or Weather Underground - I'm not sure where they get their information for that area, but they are seldom accurate about the rain. I think they make mistakes because the storms and rain tend to pass by the land and stay out on the sea. A lot of Americans come during the summer months for the cheaper prices. So as far as the best time of year to come, that depends on what you want. I prefer the first week in January because I am on a limited budget and the airfare tends to drop a little at that time (right after winter break - lots of teachers go there for their winter break, prices go up). Two years ago in January I had two days of rain - a very rare event! However, whatever time of year you decide, I am sure you will love it! Good luck and have fun!

Try either of these web sites and search their archives for more information on the hotels you mentioned:

http://www.ixtapa.net/

http://www.zihuatanejo.net/

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

Thanks so much for the info! The places I listed are RCI exchanges with a timeshare. As far as time goes, I was thinking more like January, February, or March, so that sounds good. I want to go when it's awful weather here in the Pacific Northwest! This won't be until early 2007, but love to get info. ahead of time!

4. Re: best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:34 am, March 17, 2006
Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

Thanks for further information! This is great! Our timeshare exchange will be for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom unit, so I'm hoping for a view! I noticed on RCI.com that there were some all inclusive resorts. Does anyone know how much more you pay? And it sounds like you wouldn't recommend this due to limitations? I'll check with RCI.com too, but just thought I'd ask! Thanks again!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

I will let you know in detail about the Pacifica when we get back. We will be going there the first week in Feb06. We will update you on the all inclusive and local sites,things todo,etc.We are mostly going for a vwgtable vacation but we will manage a few trips off the resort.

Brentwood...
Level Contributor
36 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time of year? Anyone stayed at the following? Advise...

We are also hoping to plan a trip to this area this year. We may end up going at the hot or rainy time as our schedule just changed with our first grandchild due in November. Can you let us know how the Pacifica was? Which one did you stay at? We were in Zihuatanejo for a day last month on a cruise and absolutely fell in love with the place. We took the water taxi to Los Gatos Beach and wished we could have stayed a week there. From the pictures it appears that this is the resort we could see from Los Gatos Beach off to the right hand side of the bay. Would that be correct? Let us know how the food and service was as it appears this is now an all inclusive resort through RCI.

Thanks