We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconuts Restaurant

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Rafael, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Coconuts Restaurant

This restaurant is riding on its past glories. Although it was favorably reviewed...(don't know how long ago) by several newspapers and magazines, my dining experience there, in Feb. 2008 was very disappointing. My husband had one of the house specialities, Chile Rellano and he reported it was soggy, and terrible, as if it were not fresh, it had been in the kitchen for hours and just reheated. I had the coconut shrimp. It was not half as good as the shrimp I ate at the modest beach restaurants that served really fresh and delicious shrimp in any style. The shrimp dish was about $28 and it was somewhat rubbery. For dessert we ordered a chocolate crepe. I started to eat it and at first I couldn't figure out what was wierd about it. Then I realized that this was not a crepe. It was a tortilla rolled up like a cigar and smothered with chocolate syrup.

The meal was pricey and just not worth it. Go there for a drink. It is conveniently located downtown, the ambience is pleasant and there was a two piece musical group playing and singing lovely Mexican and Spanish classics.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

Careful as I posted a less than flattering report on this place & was "[paid" back by the owner with a libelous post about me that had no bases in truth! He's a real peace of work.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

Oh well, My few meals there have been a lot better than yours.

Try Lety's next time.

Want something really tough try the chili Relleno at Tamales Any's. I would suggest the tamales but they run out by 7 PM on Sat. night, besides they have 1/4 inch of corn meal around whatever. YUCK!!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

I guess anyplace can have a bad day!

The first week of December 2007, at Coconuts, I had one of the best, if not the best, Fillet Mignons that I have ever had. While my fishing buddy, had the Grilled Chicken with Goat Cheese, and he was wiping the plate to get every drop!

Sorry your meal was a bummer.

Did you let them know that you were dissatisfied?

Keith

San Rafael, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

We didn't. It was very busy and sevice was off too. We just decided to cut out losses....

W. Hollywood, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

Hello Curlytoo

My name is Ciprian LoGiudice. I am one of the owners of Restaurant Coconuts. I am extremely sorry you may have had a less than statisfactory experience. I cannot explain away your complaint on it as i was not there and we have never had a complaint on that Rellano dish in the 25 years we have had it on the menu. I also cannot explain the shrimp. It is one of our most popular dishes. We ALWAYS USE NOTHING BUT FRESH SHRIMP AND FISH. This is the first complaint we have ever had on it.

I know other restaurants serve it. We have tried most of them.

We found it to sometimes be good to great and sometimes quite awful. That's often the case with shrimp. We have always found it cheaper, because the shrimp used is about half the size we use. It is possible the shrimp we served you may have been overcooked. That would explain the rubbery texture you mention. I would suggest you should have sent it back.

As to the crepe, i really do not know what to say. We are well known for that desert for many years and sell dozens every night. The crepes are freshly handmade based on a french recipe and covered in homemade dark chocolate. it was most certainly not a rolled tortilla.

Having been in business for 30 years and having served 100's of thousands of meals in that time, i am sure we goof on occasion. I would seem yours may have been one of those rare occasions and there is no excuse for it other that to say we are sorry and wish you would have made your complaint at the time so that we could have had the opportunity to correct it.

In our defense in regard to your aside about food critic reviews possibly being out of date. We would suggest that we not have such a consistent and flawless record of great reviews from food critics, if your experience was a common occurrence. In our experience, most major travel boks update annually or semi-annually. The last food critic review we had that I know of was in the International Herald Tribune annual review of Mexican Restaurants in 2006-7. That review named Coconuts among the best restaurants in Mexico and THE BEST RESTAURANT IN ZIHUATANEJO.

Again, I apologize and hope you will give us another chance to make it up to you. Please write our manager Debbie Mioni at cafezihu@prodigy.net.mx. Just give he your name, the date and approximate time of night you were there. We will pull the check, set it aside and the next time you are in town, we invite you to come in and have dinner on us.

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate knowing where we can improve.

West Coast
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

We also had a less than goodexperience at thi srersturant in 2005. If fact my wife became quite ill after eating but a small portion of her Cooconut shrimp dish spending the next three days hugging the toliet in our room.

San Rafael, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

Mr. LoGuidice:

With all due respect, I reported fairly and honestly our experience. This was my first post on TripAdvisor even though I have been reading Trip Advisor for years and I travel quite extensively. The reason I took the time to write up our experience was that it was so contrary to what we were expecting considering the reviews that we had read. I suspect that many like myself usually just walk away from a less than positive dining experience and move on, especially in a foreign country and a location one may not plan to visit for a long time. So you may no always get the feedback that is negative.

In any case, if I should return to Zihuatenajo, I will take you up on your offer and give Coconuts another chance.

W. Hollywood, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

Curlytoo

No problem Curly. I was not questioning the sincerity of your complaint. I was sincere in my apology for what I have every reason, based on overwhelming good reviews over a period of 30 years, to expect that this may have been one of those glitches that happen in all restaurants on occasion. We agree that there must be times when people are disappointed that they just leave without saying anything, although that would be unusual in a case like your own where ‘everything’ was wrong. In the same vein, I guess it would also be fair to say that many people who were very satisfied leave without saying how good they found it.

We welcome the criticism. Otherwise how would we know where to improve. We are very sincere in our offer to have you as our guest on your next visit.

We did have our accountant go through all checks for the month of Feb. hoping to isolate your check and take it up with the chef. In order to assure we hare comping the right person, we would need you to contact our manager by E-mail at cafezihu@prodigy.net.mx. Just give her your full name ,the ‘exact’ date and approximate time you were there so we can enter it into our log book and make good on our promise when you have the opportunity to use it.

We thought we could find the check for the meal you describe as we keep very complete records of all checks. However, we could not find a single check showing a party of two in that month with the same exact entrees and dessert as you describe. Our manager has a heads up on this and will send you a mail confirming the free meal as soon as you send her the information.

Whistler, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

Is Mario Ramos still involved with Coconuts?

Simon

Whistler,BC

W. Hollywood, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coconuts Restaurant

No Mario got married and moved to Rhode Island