We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting pesos in the US

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting pesos in the US

Hi,

Is it possible to get pesos in the US? I am thinking if this is possible than I may do this rather than having to worry about going to ATM's or banks in Ixtapa.

thanks,

Ash

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting pesos in the US

Possible -- Yes, Intelligent -- NO

You will probably get under 10:1 at a US bank, something like 9.5:1, last week Labrat got 11.36:1 at the ATM's in ZIH

That is roughly $155 US difference on $1000

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting pesos in the US

Not that good now Dorado but still a waste to by in US. Get a few at Zihua Airport ATM & more at the bank. Got 10.82 today here in Morelia at Banknorte

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting pesos in the US

thanks guys.

In that case I will get the pesos at a bank in Ixtapa. Do I need to have an account with them or can anyone walk in with dollars and get pesos...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,750 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting pesos in the US

agshah;

Where are you staying in Ixtapa?

If your close to the Dorado Pacifico, there is an ATM/Mini bank just to the left of their driveway. It's between the Dorado and the Emporio (the next hotel to the South).

Keith

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting pesos in the US

Hi Keith,

We are staying at the melia.

thanks,

Ash

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,750 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting pesos in the US

agshah,

Your going to be a bit North of the main Ixtapa shopping/resturant area. Taxi's are cheap, and if you have been wading through the posts here, you may already have planned on hitting places like Chile Beans and Chimmy Changa's.

If so, when the cab drops you at Chile Beans( Chimmy Changa's is directly above on the second floor), look directly across the street, and you'll see the ATM/Mini Bank that I was speaking of.

Have a Great Trip!

Keith

7. Re: Getting pesos in the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 22, 2009