We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cannan valley west va

Blacksburg, Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
cannan valley west va

hello. my husband and I and our two children age 5 and 8 are planning to visit canna resort for some snowboarding. i haven't been there before and know little about it. We usually go to Snowshoe nd Silver Creek. Cannan seems much cheaper but not sure if it is as family friendly ie: getting from your room to the slopes, eating (rooms in lodge i'm told have no microwave, fridge, stove top), indoor pool...

Just wondering from someone more familiar with Cannan Valley resort... Is this a place to visit with small kids?

4 replies to this topic
Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cannan valley west va

Absolutely! Canaan Resort has an indoor pool, kids activities, game room, etc. Plus, there are several businesses around with fun places to eat. The ski lodge and the resort are separated, and you must drive between the two, but it is very close. There is also the Timberline Resort that is right next door. So, you have 2 ski resorts for the price of 1.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cannan valley west va

Canaan is a great mountain for young/beginner skiers. Their bunny hill is away from everyone else, so there is really no worries about being run-through by more experienced skiers. They most likely won't even be in that area.

Definitely consider skiing over at Timberline as well if you can. It is just a short drive up the road.

Like the prior poster said, the lodging area and the ski hill are not together. You have to drive between the two. I recall there being a shuttle bus, but check with the resort.

Canaan is nothing like Snowshoe/Silvercreek. There simply isn't ANYTHING like Snowshoe/Silvercreek in the Mid-Atlantic area in terms of a huge winter resort, so keep your mind open for a totally fresh perspective. It isn't bad-just different. You will have a good time there. It is a beautiful area.

Finally, not sure when you will be going, but if it is during the week, keep an eye on local schools. Canaan has a deal where if school is canceled for snow (and it can be ANY "local" schools-even in Virginia/Maryland/D.C. area-they run a snow-day special where lift tickets are $18.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cannan valley west va

I might be a little late, but if you go during the week, you'll have the place pretty much to yourself. Even on weekends it's not very crowded.

Sometimes on Wednesdays they have 2 for 1 tickets.

Also check out Liftopia.com for discounted tickets for kids at Canaan.

If you like bluegrass, check out the Purple Fiddle in nearby Thomas, W.Va. They have pretty decent food there as well.

Canaan is vertically challenged, but it's a nice laid-back resort.

Nederland, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: cannan valley west va

Located high in the Allegheny Mountains of north central West Virginia, Canaan Valley Resort boasts a unique valley setting at an elevation of 3,300 feet. This popular name in Davis WV hotels is surrounded by the million-acre Monongahela National Forest, and is adjacent to the Canaan Valley Wildlife Refuge and the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area.

Edited: 10:24 am, March 22, 2012
Reply to: cannan valley west va
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canaan Valley