We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Escondido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
JBS
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Question

I preface this question by saying I am not an alarmist, but I am going to be travelling with children so I'm cautious. I had no idea that there was a malaria risk in the Puerto Escondido/Puerto Angel area till last night when at the travel clinic. Both Canadian and US websites show a strong risk in the region including the coast.

Now I know March is the dry season, and the risk is mostly at night. I know it is my decision whether to take meds, use DEET and possibly nets at night, etc.

Just wondering what is typical for most tourists? I am trying to balance the risk of malaria and the risks of taking the meds....so anecdotal input is welcome at this point!

Thanks

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Question

I was quite surprised by the lack of mosquitoes in the Puerto Angel area in the springtime. That does not answer your question and each year the season will vary, but it isn't a topic that comes up often. I am betting most tourists considering travel meds for the area are more concerned about food/water issues than malaria.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Question

Malaria is 100 times less likely than dengue fever that has laid low many foreign tourists (I can't remember a single one getting malaria). Dengue has no vaccination available and is much more prevalent in Mexico than malaria - use mosquito repellant at all times!

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Question

Lots of info on Tomzap.com. This link will take you to the thread on Malaria:

http://69.73.170.179/ph5/read.php?17,107881

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Question

I've been to PE the last 4 years and have not seen a mosquito. I have been in Dec, Jan, & April. I have taken anti malarials when I went to Guatemala, ACK they are awful! I quit after the first dose, I can't imagine that the disease is worse....

Burlington
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Question

Mosquitos do not like the ocean much but there is a dengue fever risk there - A friend said someone they knew has suffered from it more than once. It is more of a risk in the rainy season. But you may want to use some mosquito repelent if it is a concern and stay clear of river and swamp areas, and be wary at dawn and dusk when the critters bite most. If you are in the tourist zone - it shouldnt be a concern - but it is good to be cautious and safe.

Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
337 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Question

Agree with Bofo!

I would be much more concerned about Dengue, and that only in the rainy season , June to late September.

I don't think these health clinics in Canada in the USA are up to date on some diseases in Mexico.

Where we are, and were, with our kids I was more concerned about typhoid and TB. Dirty water.

And the pesticides the fields are sprayed with!

Malaria no.

And not in Pto,. Escondido.

7. Re: Malaria Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Escondido