We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nogales to Puerto Escondido INFO please>>

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san diego
1 post
Save Topic
Nogales to Puerto Escondido INFO please>>

Hi everyone, I'm driving to Puerto escondido through nogales on july 1st, and would like to get some info and tips, on the safest and fastest route possible. I would appreciate any helpful info. miles, driving time etc.. thanks

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nogales to Puerto Escondido INFO please>>

The recommended route can be obtained from www.capufe.gob.mx (Servicios and Traza Tu Ruta). Nogales to Puero Escondido is listed as 1,832 miles in 29 hrs 50 mins. The route is the safest because it uses the safer toll roads - each way costs around 200 dollars.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Escondido
Hotel Escondido
116 Reviews
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Berkeley
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nogales to Puerto Escondido INFO please>>

My mom drove from Nogales to Puerto in July of 2005 in an un-airconditioned car - so she only drive from 6-11 a.m. until she got to Guaymas or Mazatlan. The route was from Nogales to Hermosillo to Guaymas and then down the coast on 200 which takes you to Puerto Escondido. It's best not to drive at night because of animals - burros, cows, as well as dogs, on the road. It's the rainy season and sometimes part of the "highway" (it's just 2 lanes) gets washed out. Make sure you always have a full tank, you can drive many hours between gas stations. Also be prepared for many army roadblocks/check points where they may search your car for drugs and weapons.

My mom was 58 and driving a 1984 Volvo and had no problems at all.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Puerto Escondido
Puerto Escondido
Oaxaca, Mexico
San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nogales to Puerto Escondido INFO please>>

Riddm your mom rocks!... my mom is the same age and wouldn't drive to florida! (from new york)... good for her...

I drove as far south as Acapulco from San Francisco last spring and this year I'm going all the way to Guatemala... it was really beautiful, and surprisingly safe. Most of my major frustrating periods happened in DF and Guadalajara so you can just skip that if you like...

Nogales was super-easy, just get all the docs (and a few copies, you never know) and get there RIGHT WHEN IT OPENS (6am?)... maybe 7 but I flew through it..

hardest part was getting back into the states... la migra is a pain in the butt... I was held for 45 minutes just to check my passport?...so weird.

Driving isn't cheap.. I think I spent close to $600 on tolls!.. so have lots of smaller/medium bills on you at all times..and keep your receipts should you get pulled over on the tolls..

San Carlos is an awesome first stop and San Blas is another great little town to stop in.. best tacos ever.

good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
4. Re: Nogales to Puerto Escondido INFO please>>

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 16, 2009