We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Canada road trip

Nottingham
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Western Canada road trip

We are at the planning stage of our holiday for next year and looking for recommendations for where to go. We thought we would like to include Jasper, Banff and Vancouver but not sure where else to include. We will have 21 days and enjoy natural scenery. All suggestions welcome.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Canada road trip

Hi MaggieNottingham,

A bit more info would be helpful... when exactly are you planning to make this trip (Season - Month)? And by what method of transporation will you be getting around? (Rental Car - Bus - Train - RV). And who is making this trip (any kids, ages, etc).

And lastly, if you gave us a bit more info about what your interests are that would help us with suggestions... so based on what you`ve read how do you "visualize" your vacation.

As a starter... 3 Weeks is a good amount of time, depending on your interests we`ll be able to figure how much of it you`ll want to spend in the city (Vancouver) and how much in the countryside (or wilderness if you are a hiker, camper, etc).

With 3 Weeks a lot of Travellers add on Calgary, Alberta... and fly into one city and out of the other.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Nottingham
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Canada road trip

Thanks for your reply. We are planning the trip for August 2010 and will be travelling by rental car. It's just my husband and I and we are both in our late 50's so enjoy walking but not too strenious hiking. We would love to see the scenery as I gather it can really beautiful and I also fancy the hiking on the glacier, it sounds great or is it a bit of a let down? I find a little shopping is enjoyable but wouldn't want to spend too much time in Vancouver unless there's a lot to see there. We enjoy driving one day then having some time to really enjoy a new area without having to rush.

I hope this gives you a better idea of what our idea of a perfect vacation is.

Thanks again

Maggie

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Canada road trip

Maggie

I'm going to suggest that you check out the Vancouver, Banff and Vancouver Island forums and look at some some the inside pages and itineries already posted by DE's and other contributors.

That along with Wine 4-2 helpful suggestions will probably give you a some background with which to start asking questions on those Forums.

There are many more specific forums that may be of interest, but start there. You'll find their is alot of cross-posting by contributors in those areas.

Happy planning!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Canada road trip

Hi MaggieNottingham,

Sounds great. And with 3 weeks you`ll have plenty of time.

I suggest that you pull up a copy of GOOGLE MAPS and get a feel for the lay of the land... mileages, distances and driving times* You can even plot out the route I have here (the basics)

VANCOUVER - WHISTLER = 124 Kms (about 2 Hours)

WHISTLER - LAKE LOUISE = 738 Kms (about 9-1/2 Hours)

LAKE LOUISE - JASPER = 235 Kms (about 3 Hours)

JASPER - BANFF = 290 Kms (about 3-1/2 Hours)

BANFF - CALGARY = 126 Kms (about 1-1/2 Hours)

Total this routing = 1,513 Kms (19 Hours Drive Time*)

* NOTE - Drive times are only estimates and don`t account for things like Gas Stops, Breaks, Sightseeing, Traffic, Construction or Weather Conditions.

After planning all this driving, many Travellers just opt to fly into one city (Vancouver) and out of the other (Calgary) or vice versa.

Thankfully, as so many travellers make this journey the rental car drop fees in either city are quite reasonable.

If you were to drive back to Vancouver, the return route (most direct) according to GOOGLE MAPS would work out to be:

CALGARY - VANCOUVER = 973 Kms (about 11 Hours)

For a GRAND TOTAL of 2,486 Kms (about 30 Hours of Driving Time) for the circuit route.

It is also possible with 3 weeks to spend more time exploring both the city of Vancouver, and Alberta. In particular you could return via a more southerly route which would make the journey from CALGARY - VANCOUVER come in at 1,267 Kms (about 14-1/2 Hours) and change the Trip Grand Total to 2,780 Kms (about 34 Hours of Driving Time).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Canada road trip

Ooops,

I should have also stated that you have posted this Question on the TA CANADA TRAVEL FORUM... which is for "general" travel Questions about Canada.

Now that you are on the way to planning your actual trip... further Questions / Topics should be posted in their relative TRAVEL FORUMS (ie. ALBERTA or BC, or the Destinations that you want to learn more about... so VANCOUVER - BANFF - CALGARY, etc).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Nottingham
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Canada road trip

Thanks so much

This has given us a great start and I will check out the sights recommended in the previous posting.

Very excited about our trip

Maggie

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Canada road trip

Hi MaggieNottingham,

You are very welcome... good luck with your plans. And do come back after your visit and give us a TripReport to let us know how it all turned out for you.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

8. Re: Western Canada road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 21, 2010