We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Port Alberni, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

I just found an excellent deal on a week at Cabo Blanco and read great reviews until I came to two that mentioned a lot of mosquitoes and getting many bites. I seem to be someone that mosquitoes love so now I am worried about going. Any comments? Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

Mosquitoes need stagnant fresh water (rainfall) in order to provide their breeding grounds. The rainy season on the Costalegre is June through November. By January (when I was there) the mosquitoes were present but not a serious concern (take a bug spray). However, it is the sub-tropics and if, like me, you are an adventurer and enjoy getting out of town and finding and exploring secluded beaches and trekking up stream beds to find waterfalls -- get significantly more prepared.

If this is your first trip to Barra -- enjoy, it is a good first step away from a "glitzy" all inclusive resort.

Port Alberni, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

Thanks for your reply. We haven't been to Mexico for several years and never this far south. The last few times were in San Jose del Cabo so not glitzy and a drier climate. I will pack bug stuff!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

Barra de Navidad and Cabo Blanco as not glitz is certainly an understatement.

Port Alberni, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

As in you get what you pay for?!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

Nope. But it isn't a typical beach town and Cabo Blanco isn't a beach hotel. You might want to check out You/Tube and http://www.tomzap.com/ph5/list.php?12 so you know what to expect.

Port Alberni, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

Thank you. I will do that.

Toronto
Level Contributor
492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

granvilleplace

I do not comprehend the cryptic pretentions of the other poster. But, let me try to correct any misinterpretations of my original "glitzy" comment about Barra.

Barra de Navidad is historically significant. It is called "Christmas Beach" because it was the Pacific base for the Spanish Navy during the 1500's. From Barra, on Christmas day, a Spanish expedition set sail for the Philippines and, Barra was the point for Spanish explorations up the coast of California as far north as the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

There is a "glitzy" resort (i.e. comparable to a Barceló or Sandals) across the inner bay from Barra -- it is called Grand Bay or Isla Navidad. The type of resort that has beach, warm weather, perhaps a swim up bar, and you can't really identify the country you are in --could be Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, The Turks, who knows.

The Cabo Blanco Hotel is found inside the Barra breakwater at the end of the center finger of the three finger man made canal. The canal area in front of the Cabo Blanco has a boat turnaround area so it has an enlarged area. The houses around the canals are typically owned by gringos (the canal area was never ejido land and this makes ownership by foreigners less complicated). A vacant lot on the canal costs $125k - $150k USD. A house -- well, not cheap.

The population of Barra is approx. 8,000 people during the gringo tourist season there will be about 800-1000 English speaking people milling about.--many of whom own houses or spend significant time every year in Barra. Much of the local population works in a tourist business -- no problem with only speaking English, the remainder are involved in fishing, working in the surrounding plantations (banana, coconut), or ranching.

google map streetview has covered Barra very well, the most recent "tour" was, June 2014 (I recall). You can "cruise" up and down the streets on your computer.

From Barra you can hire a boat to go deep sea fishing, snorkeling in the reefs of Tenacatita or Cuestacomates, rent a car from Crazy Cactus and explore the country side and neighbouring small, very friendly towns, take a bus 45 minutes to Manzanillo, or visit the twin volcanos 2.5 hours away outside Colima City.

Unlike a "glitzy" resort where the patrons seldom leave the grounds you can be relaxed, explore the town and local cuisine. I would put the Cabo Blanco Hotel on a par with a very good upscale Best Western style "resort" -- with no pretentions of being a Four Seasons or Ritz Hotel.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

jt,your description is good. I wasn't attempting any cryptic pretentions. I didn't want to give a negative comment. My purpose is no more than suggesting a little more research and providing a source for info. I wouldn't want to show up expecting more than, as you called it, a Best Western. If ocean swimming is a high priority, the steep beach might not fit. Just want our Port Alberni friend fully informed and you have helped.

Port Alberni, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

You have both helped and I appreciate that. I really appreciate the details about the town and hotel and the comparison to a hotel I recognize. I will check out google maps and now that I have joined will look at tomzap.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

UU.SS.
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes in Barra de Navidad

how is security these days?

Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad