We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Barra de Navidad

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Barra de Navidad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Barra de Navidad

We are going to be down Jan 18 for a week and would love to be able to find a great snorkeling spot prior to getting there.

Are there any spots anyone would recommend?

Thanks.....

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Barra de Navidad

I ran snorkel trips from Barra for over nine years and I can assure you that there are no good snorkelling spots in Barra.

At Cuastecomate - in front of the big old hotel - there is good snorkelling that is beach accessible if you swim go out toward the rocks. That part of Cuastecomate bay is a very protected beach so there are almost no waves and you won't notice a tidal pull either.

The other good spot in Cuastecomates bay - el Laboratorio - is only accessible by boat and it can be quite choppy in the afternoons.

The very best snorkelling is at the large coral reef at Tenacatita. I used to run trips out there twice a week on a 43 foot Chris Craft and I can assure you Tenacatita will not disappoint you. If you want to go through a guard post, and leave ID with the guards you can snorkel from the beach (Playa la Mora) at Tenacatita but snorkelling is best from a boat there because the best parts of the coral reef are pretty far from shore and the waves can get quite strong there especially in the afternoon, plus - the pull from the tide going out is very strong.

Edited: 9:34 am, December 06, 2012
Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Barra de Navidad

Thanks for the feedback Nan :)

I had heard that Tenacatita was closed to the public now, have you heard anything about this?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Barra de Navidad

I heard that the Judge ruled in favour of the resort developer. The snorkel area and the beach are still accessible by boat though and apparently also by vehicle if one surrenders all alcohol and leaves a piece of ID at the gate.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Barra de Navidad

Thanks Nan, have a great holiday season :)

5. Re: Snorkeling in Barra de Navidad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, February 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad