We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Tamarindo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
El Tamarindo

Is El Tamarindo closed. If so What happened?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Tamarindo

They are renovating.

seatle
Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Tamarindo

Any idea for how long? I can't reach anyone through their telephones and email and I wonder if they're actually...closed due to the economy?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Tamarindo

I doubt that they are closed for good but this is the off season. I can't say for sure because I have moved away from the area but I know that they were closed for renovation.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: El Tamarindo

The owner is going bankrupt. He used to own the Yellowstone Club in Montana. He only owns the hotel of about 40 acres , the rest of the 2000 acres are owned by Roberto Hernandez ,the billionaire former owner of Banco de Mexico that he sold to Citi Bank pre 2008. He sold the Hotel for $40 million and will now buy it back for probably $10 million. All should be good by Nov, I hope so because I want to lounge by my normal Villa by Christmas!

Denver, CO
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El Tamarindo

Does anyone have any updates at this point in time? We have some vouchers to use and are starting to get worried. thanks from CO.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Tamarindo

I asked a friend from down there to check with Alex the manager of Tamarindo back in July when this question first came up.

She hasn't heard back from him... Alex worked at the hotel when Senior Hernández owned it too but I've no idea if he is still there or what changes have been made in that respect. Or for that matter if they suffered any damage when Jova roared through last month. I'll ask Linda to check again. If they are opening for the season it will probably be pretty soon.

Wonder what will happen with the cluster of cement cliff hanging houses that were built during the Yellowstone Club days. They would have incredible views if one could get used to overhanging the ocean that way.

Denver, CO
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Tamarindo

Thanks Nan for trying - if you hear from your friend Linda that would be great. Thanks again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Tamarindo

I just now heard back from my friend Linda who investigated what is happening at Tamarindo. She says, "The Tamarindo hotel is closed and there is no date for its opening. Hope that helps!"

So, I guess it is still wait and see.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Tamarindo

The property is beautiful. I hope it is developed. Thanks for checking Nan.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Tamarindo

Any news on whether the hotel/golf course will be re-opening? Let me know....its a wonderful place!

Mike

Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad