We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crime

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
vancouver island
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
crime

Generally, how safe is it in Barra? We are in a duplex/house, probably not easy to secure any of our belongings, including passports etc. Can we walk safetly about town and on the beaches at night?

We were thinking of a side trip to Guadalajsra by bus. We have strong warnings from our Canadian Government about hijacking, fake road blocks, kidnapping etc. Is this a safe area to travel?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crime

Far Far Safer than Vancouver my friend.

I have spent a bit of time in Barra alone (late 60's guy) walking every where with no problems. Normal safety for a SMALL city is all that is required. Certainly far less than your hometown where several tourists I know were robbed including car theft, strong armed robbery & such.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crime

I travel up and down to Colima and back two nights a week to attend the University and I feel safe on the highway. Likewise going to Guadalajara or Mexico City or Puerto Vallarta. Incidents are rare.

Walking around Barra is as Peddler says safer than some parts of Vancouver. It'd put it on par with English Bay where I used to live for safety. Keep to lighted areas and you'll be fine. Incidents of violence are extremely rare. Crimes against property do happen, there have been break ins but thieves are not very sophisticated and probably wouldn't touch your passports, they'd be looking for cash, cameras, jewelery etc.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crime

The travel warnings do not apply to Jalisco or Colima. I personally would be more concerned about Vancouver.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crime

Wow, Vancouver sure turned into a bed of crime! I wonder why the newspapers missed it. I didn't feel any threat in the Barra area but don't in Vancouver either...not even in the scuzzy east side. There might be some poor speculation posted here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crime

Like I said, I always felt safe wandering around alone at night when I lived at English Bay...walking around at night at Main and Hastings...not so much. I must say though that I always felt just fine for safety a couple of streets over on Keefer at Han's Noodle house at night. Miss those pot stickers and wonton noodle BBQ pork soup.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: crime

Yup agree with Barra Nan - walked all over Manzanillo, Barra, Melaque and didnt' get any sense of insecurity during the day. I wouldn't leave my PPT in my room but carried it with me next to my body and my little purse outside with some $$ for shopping/meals. Yummy wonton and dim sum on Keefer! have you tried the restaurants in Richmond, Barra Nan - Fabulouso!

Easy and free parking too. Cheers

7. Re: crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 12, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad