We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast in December - help with itinerary please

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
chicago
Level Contributor
279 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
West coast in December - help with itinerary please

Hi,

I posted this in Costalegre forum, but didn't get any feedback yet:

We booked one week vacation in PVR December 12-19, and now are considering to add another 7-10 days trip after that. We traveled around Mexico by car before, driving from Mexico City to Guadalajara to PVR, but have never been to other places along the west coast. I was thinking to drive south to Barra, maybe with a one night stop on the way, spend a couple of days there, then continue to Guadalajara in 1-2 days, spend a little time there and fly home.

We will be traveling with our 7 year old and my mom, so would have to adjust the pace to their needs. Please let me know your ideas, suggestions for must see places etc.

Thanks a lot!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast in December - help with itinerary please

Drive to Barra de Navidad and spend a couple of days there. Some good places to stay are listed here. While here you can visit Melaque - not a very pretty town and not much to do there but it is on the beach on the other side of the bay. You could also visit La Manzanilla and see the crocodiles, they are in a preserve right by one of the streets. There is plenty of shopping and many restaurants etc. in Barra and boat tours and fishing also leave from Barra as it is the only of the little towns with wharves. In Barra you can also horseback ride and go to the beach.

Then you could spend a night if you wanted to in Manzanillo or head down to Cuyutlan. The big attraction at Cuyutlan which is right on the beach south of Manzanillo is the Palo Verde estuary and marine turtle sanctuary and research station. On the estuary which is HUGE you can get the best mangrove tour around and you will see tons of wildlife and birds. At the sanctuary you can see marine turtles in different stages of development as well as crocodiles and many baby iguanas in the iguanario.

Then I'd head up to Colima and Comala. You could spend four nights there and still not see everything. They have El Chanal and La Campana which are pre hispanic ruins, colonial architecture, the volcano, coffee plantations, the botanical gardens and museum at the ex hacienda Nogueras, the museums of the tourism department and the university, gardens, fountains there is tons to do and see.

Then you could head to Guad and Tlaquepaque and Tonala.

There would be no trouble to fill 10 days with activities. If you want more specific information PM me or email me at nan@seatosierra.com

chicago
Level Contributor
279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast in December - help with itinerary please

Thanks a lot BarraNan!

We decided to stay in La Manzanilla for 2 nights, then on to Colima for 2 nights, Guadalajara 3 nights, and Guanajuato 2 nights.

3. Re: West coast in December - help with itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 05, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad